Guest Access to Exemplary Courses Appreciated

Guest Access to Exemplary Courses Appreciated

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 18
Greetings From Alaska!
I am teaching a "Intro to Moodle" course for teachers from all over rural Alaska. Our next topic is "First Impressions Count" and I would love to assign each group of 5-6 teachers (24 total enrollment) a few courses to look at. If you have any current or past course that we could have temp guest access to (from 2/20-2/27) I WOULD REALLY appreciate it. This would be a great help for teachers that know very little about LMS/CMS. I have given them guest access to all my courses but they have a similar look and feel.

I will be delivering the lesson LIVE via Elluminate on Monday so would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience. Thanks so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Guest Access to Exemplary Courses Appreciated

by Tony Hursh -
Debra, you're welcome to look at the intro course from our online Ed. M. program. It's open for guest access.

P.S. If any of your seminar participants are interested, we're accepting applications until March 15 for the cohort that will start in June. smile

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -

Thank you Tony!

I will pass along the info about your Ed M program - that sounds very interesting!

Deb

by N Hansen -
I've got an open course they can take a look at here.
In reply to N Hansen

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thank you! Anyone else? I would love to have at least 6 sites smile
Really appreciate it and the teachers will as well!

by David Delgado -

Hi, Debra,

At CICEI, (Center of Innovation for the Information Society) we would be very happy to have your teachers testing our experimental demo course on Conditional activities, that is, a course that adapts itself automatically to each individual student behaviour. I think it could be a good one for your teachers to find new, interesting features in what is called "adaptive e-learning". Our demo course is based on a modified version of Moodle 1.5.2. We are getting good feedback from people all over the World who have tested it.

Please, take a look at it, and see if it could suit your requirements. Just go to the course (CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES) at:

http://coti.cicei.com/test/moodleb/course/view.php?id=15

Do not use guest access, just create a New account and enter the course, at the same address. It is important to create a new user, since each person have a different behaviour, and thus, a different course. Just follow the easy instructions that the course itself is going to give to you. Of course, you can get also some support from real persons in it at the forums. Hope you like it, and would LOVE to have as much feedback as we can from you and your teachers. If you have any problem or comments, just ask here or e-mail me, if you want at davidds@apren-d.com . smile

You can get more information about our research in this discussion.

Svar: Guest Access to Exemplary Courses Appreciated

by Anders Berggren -
Hi Debra,
I can offer you access to a beta demo course.
I shall want your teachers to register individually
though. When I see that they are registered I will
mail them a course key. I will also provide them
with non-editing teacher rights so that they can
shift between the teacher and student views in the
two-layered course.

I would of course appreciate it if your teachers are
active and provide feedback e.g. via course forums
and journals.

Hopefully I can initiate some student activity as well
during your period. Then of course it would be nice if
your teachers would communicate with our students.

The address to our moodle site is:
You'll probably need to go there first and change
language to English. The Course Category is 'Seminarier'
and the name of the course is 'Pancake'.
The direct link to the course is:
There however you are likely to be confused blinkning with the
instructions in Swedish.

Beta Demo Course in two layers
Layer 1. How to design Learning Communication in Moodle.
This layer is mostly feigned yet but contains meta descriptions,
Layer 2. What is a pancake?
Target group 1. Swedish Compulsory School English Teachers:
Aim/s: To learn how apply pedagogic theory in order to conduct an
ICT-supported iterative learning dialogue in an LMS
Target group 2. Swedish Compulsory School Students studying English
Aim/s: To learn more about what a pancake is, if you think about it blinkning.

Cheers, Anders
PS
Not too long ago none of us knew
anything at all about this.
DS

by Richard Treves -
I guess my open access site would be interesting, does all kinds of things you wouldn't see on an ordinary course of a teacher pushed for time smile I think the skype me button is particularly useful (thanks to moodle Ian Usher for yet another heads up!)

www.kokae.com

Rich
In reply to Richard Treves

by N Hansen -
Richard-What software did you use to create your Flash demos?
In reply to N Hansen

by Art Lader -
Looks like Camtasia Studio from Techsmith.com.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Richard Treves -
Actually Art, I've been using both camtasia and captivate but it happens to be captivate.  I have had no end of trouble with screencast software, in case anyone's interested here's the story:

I wanted to output to .mp4 (iTunes compatible), and .swf.  I origonally started with captivate knowing that it could be used to produce .swf screencasts and also export to the flash editor from where you should be able to import into .mov format (and thence to .mp4 - compressed version of .mov - using quicktime pro).  Because you can add other neat things in the flash editor I went for captivate but I then couldn't get the exporter to work.  Its a pretty crappy problem between versions of flash. 

So then I looked at camtasia.  Exports nicely to .mov and to .swf thank you kindly, but its an annoying program, has loads of 'modes' that you have to turn off before you can start editing something else, has other bugginess (c.w. captivate) and worst of all, crashes occasionally.  So I gave up before I had to pay for it and found 'demostudio' (OS from sourceforge.net). 

My final workflow is:  produce screencast in captivate, export to .swf.  screen capture the captivate preview using demostudio to .avi which then automatically opens in Quicktime pro player from where I export to .mp4.   

• Captivate:  Good if you are happy with .swf output and are screencasting mostly about 'click this button, type in this field'.  Limited functionality but good usability.  When you want to show animations (a fly through in google earth) the files get really big and captivate is clumsy.  Doesn't export to .mov even via the flash editor route.
  • Camtasia:  All singing, all dancing but crashes and poor usability IMHO.  If you are capturing animations the output to .mov and thence to .mp4 produces better, smaller screencasts than captivate.
  • Demostudio:  Free but you can't add callouts (text boxes) or edit your commentary.
  • Others: Someone did a review of a windows freebie that you can use to produce .wmv files on the riley website, I'll dig out the ref if anyone's interested. I haven't looked at that nor at Wink as I wanted to use audio.
I think the field is wide open for an OS solution to come in and do something a bit more professional.  I also think the Mac route is better, seriously thinking of swapping thoughtful

OOoooh, that was a cathartic release for about a months worth of frustration.  smile

Rich

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Hi everybody,

I'm in the same situation as Debra and really appreciate the help. Richard, I looked at your  Google site last week and liked it very much - but when I tried to show it to my colleagues today, I didn't get guest access - I always ended up on the front page.

The access to exemplary courses is very important for us  - since we are just getting started using Moodle for school. Is there anybody out there who has a science or maths course? I just cannot convince math teachers to moodle by showing them my language courses.

Anybody interested in sample courses in French and business is welcome to visit our site: www.mhs-moodle.de (a course in English - ESL will follow shortly) - no log in required.

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Richard Treves -
Ulrike,

Glad you liked kokae.  Can you be more specific to the problem?  You should get to the front page (with an 'enrol me' option) and then there is a link that takes you to the main paged?

Rich

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Your site works great again - don't know what was wrong. Our geography teachers love it.

Thanks for sharing it smile.

Ulrike

by Richard Treves -
Ulrike,

OK, well that's something else I don't need to fix smile

Rich

by andy choo -

Hi,

As a matter of fact i have developed a Math Learning Site. The content are adhere to Singapore-based Math curriculum. Maybe you can visit us and give us some of your valuable comments.

Here's the url: http://www.edhub.net/edhub_dorm

Regards,

Andy

In reply to andy choo

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Andy,

Thanks for the access to your course - I'm very happy to have a math course now,
of course I cannot comment on it since I know nothing about math - but I'm sure you will hear from my math colleagues,

Ulrike

by Alistair McNaught -

You're welcome to look at some of the TechDis courses - these include mp3s and I think we've got some video clips on some as well. All the FE ones are guest accessible..

http://www.techdis.ac.uk/community/course/category.php?id=8

Alistair

In reply to Alistair McNaught

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Alistair,

Thanks a lot for sharing the course. It's very interesting amd we can learn a lot from it since we have many students with learning disabilities in our college,

Ulrike