Future of the Moodle-new Features in the near future

Future of the Moodle-new Features in the near future

by Antony Barela -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

first of all i am big fan of opensource and especially Moodle.

I working at an educational workplace, in the last few days we had a lot of pressure on using mstms(dont ask me to type what is this).  We were told that it has a high performance and almost infinitive, however we had difficult times with it, pages were lagging, calls were lost.

Thats why i am asking you how do you see the future of Moodle, what would good to integrate in to keep the Moodle position.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Antony Barela

Re: Future of the Moodle-new Features in the near future

by Dave Balch -
> mstms(dont ask me to type what is this)
I have no idea what mstms is, so can't help you there.

The Moodle Roadmap should give you an idea where Moodle is heading.

Dave.

In reply to Dave Balch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think I just worked it out (mstms, but I am not saying either)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
We need to have a like button!
In reply to Mark Sharp

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Well, another button..... mmmm The interface has always been derided as being somewhat clunky, something I am always defending and, I must admit, I am getting almost as tired of it as I am "news" about Covidiots. Moodle is going to find it difficult to move forward unless there is a radical rethink of its essential appearance, its load times and a range of things I can't even pronounce. No matter what new features are included, Moodle just keeps getting slower and slower. Unless a team can come up with new and innovative ways of preloading stuff, it is just going to lose out, not to other LMS' but to those pretend LMS' like Google Apps, Office365 and others I have not heard of.

Oh dear, guess what just happened? Me: Let's make Moodle a mainstream tool for distance learning, develop a longer term strategy. Head of ITC: Nah, doesn't do anything for me. Teams and WebEx are the tools for us.

just my 2c.....
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That wasn't a request, just a response to Mary's response.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Antony Barela -
"Head of ITC: Nah, doesn't do anything for me. Teams and WebEx are the tools for us.
" -sounds not soo good, something similar situation here
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Had this one a number of times. 

<rant>

For me it's up to Senior Management right to the top to fix this.  The Educational Technology leader ought to set the goals the IT Manager implements them where possible or has really good reasons why not - "doesn't do anything for me" or "security risk" or "incompatible with our OS" shouldn't be tolerated without a proper evidence-based risk assessment.

Personally I only had one school in 5 where the management supported me on this so only one school where Moodle + BYOD was a great success.

The goal is education after all, not which technology is easiest for us to implement.

</rant>

Should this be in the lounge?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Richard Jones

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Yep, agreed. Now it's far too late to convince people who will not admit to making a very ordinary decision a couple of years or more ago. Got more important things to do than to play the blame game now. I'm no longer sure it has much to do with education any more, either. If it did then why are we turning out so many semi-literates, requiring calculators to subtract 10 from 20?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Antony Barela -
Hopefully its just an april fool and you are more competent in e-learning and know what could be meant mstms
In reply to Antony Barela

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
April fool. Hilarious one! smile

In you original post you wrote:
> i am asking you how do you see the future of Moodle, what would good to integrate in to keep the Moodle position.

Future? If you asked the world two months ago about its future, what would have you got? How much of it would be valid today?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)