Integrating Moodle with G-Suite website/site pages

Integrating Moodle with G-Suite website/site pages

by John Lawrence -
Number of replies: 10

Hello.  My name is John Lawrence.  I am a music therapist and educator by profession, and a Moodle "Noodler".  I am presently using Moodle 3.8.2 on a home install, Mac OS, Macbook Pro.

Q:  Is it possible to run a Moodle installation via the website offered as part of the G-suite personal or business account?

I recently purchased a G-suite account and registered a Domain.  It is meant to be part of a non-profit business that I am hoping will be used by my fellow music therapists during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond.  Specifically, I am hoping to assist/consult with people unfamiliar with creating Moodle courses for their courses or as a documentation/communication site for virtual conferences that replace F2F conferences that have been cancelled.  I don't have a website and can't afford one right now as I've lost a large percentage of my income due to the cancellation of sessions by private clients.  I also can't use MoodleCloud to set up a business Moodle site because I need to use plugins and multiple language packs - something not allowed in MoodleCloud.

Note:  I am NOT an IT professional and have little to no experience with the internal workings/system architecture of computer systems.  I depended upon the automated install of Moodle to create my home installation and only partially understand how to use services like NoIP to create a redirect for members of the public to access my home installation (Plus I'm using a 10 yr. old MacBook Pro).  Hence, please don't reply with a complex response that only an IT person would understand, just a simple "Yes or No".  If anyone would like to volunteer to assist me with an integration, I would accept that too.

Thank-you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Lawrence

Re: Integrating Moodle with G-Suite website/site pages

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As far as I know (having never used it), G-Suite is Google's take on 'Office 365'. A bunch of web-based apps aimed at businesses and the like. I'm not aware of there being any hosting options for other software.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hmmmm ... from a retired educator of 30 years plus ... never understood educators who expect their students to learn something new everyday, excusing themselves from the same thing ... only in IT.  That's food for thought maybe and not meant to insulting at all ... as I have 'been there ... done that'.

Bottom line answer: no

Probably a very good reason ... Google has it's own Classroom.  Why would Google be concerned with how XYZ LMS's (Moodle) interface with their Classoom?   Answer ... they wouldn't.  And that makes perfect sense ... Alphabet is (in their minds) being 'less evil'.

"If anyone would like to volunteer to assist me with an integration ..." personally have been down this road many times.  'Assist' means advise?  or do you mean 'do for' .... ie, you want to be fed fish as opposed to being taught how to fish?

Let's put the shoe on the other foot ... I don't know anything about music and don't want to learn to read music sheets.  I do want you to teach me how to use a Violin so that I can join a well known symphony orchestra.

Again ... not being insulting nor mean ... just wonderin'! smile

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by John Lawrence -
Dear Ken,

Thank-you for your comments. Here are my responses.

"I've never understood educators who expect their students to learn something new everyday, excusing themselves from the same thing"

That is what I was asking for in this case, so fair point. That said, I have been learning a great deal about the functionality and limitations of various functions in Moodle. For example, most recently I've learned how to initiate and create a bilingual installation of the Moodle interface, how to use the atto_multilang2 plugin to greatly simplify the language-specific labelling of content, how to use the question bank and create online quizzes and exams (attended a webinar on that one) and I've learned that, although there is not a Moodle-Gsuite integration, there is a Moodle-Wordpress integration called the Edwiser bridge.

"'Assist' means advise? or do you mean 'do for'"

Honestly, initially, I was hoping that someone would "do [it] for me" however, that doesn't stop my interaction/conversation. I am more than willing to go the step beyond to more fully understand the process and individual steps in the process, if the contributor is willing to take the time to educate me or refer me to an information source where I can learn about the various steps involved in doing so that involves "novice" language rather than "expert-informed" language. I would have been equally happy if someone had replied, "Yes it is possible" and here's a link to a help document about how to go about it yourself.

I hope that you haven't found my responses insulting either smile

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not offensive at all!   Understand ... speaking for myself, you should know I find myself becoming 'novice' ... again :\ ... when doing/trying something new that I've never done before.  And many times only by trial/error - which is time consuming and frustrating - do I even approach what you call 'expert-informed' (it's all relative).   Just happen to have a 'failure quotient' higher than most! smile

When it comes to complete/total integration with GSuite/Edu domain, not sure that will ever happen as it would require programming in Moodle to talk to Google - not in 'Moodle-ese' but the language of Google (go?).

Moodle wants to rule the roost ... and so does Google.

Besides, the 'real power' in GSuite isn't in the interace one can see in Moodle, it's in the other Google based scripts/functions/addons one can add in Google apps.  Can't access those directly in Moodle.

So think it's kinda like this ... try to pick the best tool for the job ... sometimes it's Moodle ... sometimes it's Google.  For example, know of several large/medium/small sized ISD's in Texas, where they use Moodle quiz/test opposed to whatever Google offers for test/quizzes.

When it comes to Music ... that's out of my life experiences ... so sometimes all one can do is 'search' and suggest ...  examples:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?id=2100

Online ...

https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Experiments

https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Song-Maker/

https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Song-Maker/song/5104019547619328

'SoS', Ken

by Niall Brosnan -

You can't host your own copy of Moodle within the services of your G-suite domain.

What plugins do you think you need?

Have you organised the material you wish to put up as a course and structured what you want to do yet?

Everyone's time is limited, but your time might be better spent on organising the music and therapy side of this rather than the IT side.
Don't waste your time wrestling with customising a particular theme you've chosen to go with when you could be structuring the course first.

You've been a member of moodle.org for more than 10 years - have you created courses elsewhere or do you need support with that end of it too?

Teaching music online is something I'm looking at right now for some friends, so perhaps I'll gain experience of similar plugins.
I'm also making sure everything here is bilingual as I'm in Ireland and some of the other areas we're setting up are for Irish language support for students who can't go to school.

Maybe we could pool resources and advice as I'm more of an IT guy.

In reply to Niall Brosnan

by Niall Brosnan -
I'm replying on forum to a message sent  by John - I just prefer such conversation to be available to others in the community. Hope you don't mind me quoting  here John - some of the other people who responded to you are giving good perspective. 
At this time my feelings are that getting more activities and educational opportunities online will save lives so I'm glad to offer some help where I can.

1. Instead of creating a website in G-suite, I created a website using Wordpress. It is my understanding that there is an "Edwiser bridge" that allows you to use a Moodle site within Wordpress (https://edwiser.org/bridge/). This also requires a business plan account, in order to use plugins with Wordpress, so, for right now, I am keeping the two separate entities.

I appreciate you looking for integrations to overcome restrictions, but Moodle is very capable on its own and both edwiser and a wordpress.com business plan cost money.  You could instead put that money into making your moodle available online and solve your original problem. 

I've used the edwiser bridge on a project I set up last year - it works, but I can't see why you need it here. My client had good in house wordpress experience and could easily match appearance up with the rest of their sites, so it was worthwhile. We also used plugins to authenticate users from the national universities here, but you should really keep this as simple as possible and not add unnecessary expense.

2. I'm wondering if you can use CSS somehow to colour the background of specific blocks (i.e. the "General" block in the Boost theme using #FAFA89)? or is there a setting in Moodle that you can configure to do that? I look forward to hearing from you.

You can use custom CSS to make changes to any element you like, but don't expect there to be a button for every one.  If you don't have the time to learn this, you may need to accept what you cannot change and move on.

Boost is just one theme, and not all themes have the same available settings.
You'll need to learn how to identify the block you want to change. 

Most browsers will allow you to inspect the page and take a closer look at what the block is called. 
You can then look for a custom css box in your theme settings and add the identifier and colour:
div.dont-like-the-colour { background-color: #fafa89}

In reply to Niall Brosnan

by John Lawrence -
I'm not sure if a response was posted, my connection timed-out, so here it is again.

"What plugins do you think you need?"

Initially, I was needing to illustrate a bilingual installation of Moodle. I knew that Moodle is available in many different languages but didn't know how to set that up (I do now!).   Although this doesn't take a plug-in, I have been greatly aided by installing the atto_multilang2 plugin, when including multilingual content (There is a similar plugin for use with the MCE editor). I've also been using the atto_morebackcolors and atto_morefontcolors plugins to create coloured content outside of the very basic and boring colour choices offered by the Boost theme.

"Have you organized the material..."

Yes, I have. I was hoping, and I am still hoping, to convince the conference committee of a conference that I was to attend and present at, to create a virtual conference. Purely on my own initiative, I set up and considered all of the elements that I felt might contribute to a good virtual conference experience, such as a Moodle site where participants could get information normally provided in the conference program (topics), exchange information and ideas (I set up several forums to do so), read presenter biographies (glossary), hold virtual meetings, and act as repository for files such as the PP slides and links to multimedia content (Book activity).

"You've been a member of moodle.org for more than 10 years..."

Yes, I have. I first got interested, in Moodle after attending a Cdn MoodleMoot. Coincidentally, at the same time, I was hired as an adjunct faculty member at Concordia University of Edmonton. They were just starting to use Moodle to "augment" course material.  It was entirely optional and very, very few of the faculty took part.  Presently, Moodle is much more integrated in the course delivery and grade submission process. As a result, I have built several courses in Moodle and I continue to learn and advance my understanding of the capabilities and limitations of Moodle with each one.  Finally, onliine learning and open-access options (research, OER, Creative Commons licensing, etc.) is a personal and professional interest of mine so I have toyed with Moodle on home installations throughout this 10 year period.

Cheers and stay safe,
John Lawrence

by Niall Brosnan -
Thanks John.
Moodle administration has been one of my tasks for 15 years, and I enjoy it.
I first introduced it into a small college around 2006, but it was several years before the faculty used it for much more than uploading powerpoint presentations and messaging students to drop in their assignments in printed form...

My question about plugins was more connected with what you intended using to work with audio elements. I've been using the jitsi plugin recently for live video conference and one gotcha with it is that unless you are using a certified https:// connection, the microphone and camera are unavailable.
This would have affected you without explanation on a test install on your laptop.

by T JR -
Hi John.

In spite of a limited budget, it is not only possible to get your own moodle site setup but it is also possible to add face to face video classes. You can make install Moodle, schedule backups and link to your domain easily through Bitnami; and get a free account on AWS for hosting. Hope that info is helpful. Feel free to message me for more info.

Regards,
TJR
In reply to T JR

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We don't recommend installers like Bitnami and Softaculous. They're difficult to support. It's not much harder to get a plan Ubuntu instance in AWS and install Moodle using the instructions here.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)