Transferring History, Courses & Question Bank

Transferring History, Courses & Question Bank

by Mark Hardwick -
Number of replies: 2
We’ve been using Moodle for 10 years or so with upgrades along the way. We’ve recently upgraded to the latest version and we’re having trouble with imports and the students have trouble with the speed of the questions. Our web host is trying to figure out if it’s something in the server or Moodle itself. He loaded a fresh version for us to test and I built a small group of questions and courses and tried the import and it went lightening fast. Obviously it will go faster with a application that doesn’t have 10 years of data stored but we are thinking of using the fresh install rather than our old one that’s got a ton of upgrades and possibly corruption. My question is, what would be the best way to export / import the data to the new site? We have student history, courses and a question bank. I don’t mind building new courses as long as we could get the question bank imported, but I’m not sure how the history would work if we didn’t bring over the old courses. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Hardwick

Re: Transferring History, Courses & Question Bank

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
10 years? Then started in a release 1.x? Then it is better to start anew, say at the start of the next academic year. For the "history" you can keep the old site running read-only and transfer only the active courses with users to a fresh site. Is that an option?
- https://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_backup
- https://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_restore
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Transferring History, Courses & Question Bank

by Mark Hardwick -

Visvanath,

Yes that's correct, we started with 1.x something.  I'll double check with our webhost to see if he ever remembers reloading from scratch but I think they have all been upgrades.  Also yes, we would have the ability to run two applications, one active and one for history.  If we go that way then exporting the questions and importing them to the new application would be the only real issue.  I do remember when we originally started with Moodle we had been using a quiz tool called RS Quiz, and we bought a program from Respondus (I think 4.0) that we used to move the questions from RS into Moodle.  The courses won't be any trouble to rebuild.  Thanks for the links and I'll spend some time in those later today/weekend.

Thanks,

Mark