Competencies not updating based on quiz completion

Competencies not updating based on quiz completion

by Rex Wallen Tan -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

I added a Competency to a Course, and a Quiz. The Quiz passing score is 3, even if I score 5 -> the Competency still marks itself as not done. .

I already setup the default scale choice (in my Scale setup) and I attached the Competency (upon Activity completion in the Quiz). However when I complete the quiz, it still refuses to update.

Thanks!

Walen

Attachment Quiz setup.png
Attachment Scale setup.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rex Wallen Tan

Re: Competencies not updating based on quiz completion

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't see Activity completion enabled there - can you check you have it enabled? Otherwise Moodle won't know the quiz has been passed
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rex Wallen Tan -

Thank you! This did the trick.

I enabled Course completion on the Site, then I added the Activity completion criteria to the Quiz.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steven Silvern -

I need help in figuring out what is going wrong in setting up completion parameters.

1. I set course to be complete on completion of one graded assignment
  2. I set the competency to be complete on course completion
  3. I set the activity to be complete on receiving a grade
  4. The grade is based on a Fail, Pass bases, and the passing grade is 1 (the order in the scale is fail, pass--0 of 1 and 1 of 1)
  5. The student gets a grade of pass
  6. In the learning plan it shows the competency as incomplete
  7. But when you click on the competency description it shows the class is complete and the activity as complete. (see attachments)
What am I missing?
Attachment 6. incomplete in learning plan.png
Attachment 7. course complet, activity complete.png
In reply to Steven Silvern

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
1. is the Pass scale set with the default and proficiency values?
2. is the Quiz activities competency setting - upon activity completion = Complete the competency?
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Steven Silvern -

Thank you Shirley.  I think I see part of the issue in your kind reply.  However, I think that I need to read some more about this.  The doc at https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Competency_frameworks simply says--"The Scale is the default scale used when rating a competency. An individual competency in a framework can have a different scale to the framework."  In the framework Scale is set to "Completed Task" (screenshot), with default as incomplete and proficient as complete (screenshot).

Perhaps setting the scale differently will generate different results, but how to know?  Where is the doc that helps me to make these decisions.  For example, I could set scale to "Default competence scale" using the values not yet competent and competent--but how does setting the default and proficient make a difference--what is the impact of these settings?  Or I can set the scale to the one that is used for grading the assignment (please retake, pass).  But, the key seems to be in how default and proficiency are set and I have no guidance in how to set these.  For example, I see that in my custom scale (retake, pass) I can set pass as both the default and proficient?  What does that mean?

Yes, in the activity competency setting upon activity completion = Complete the competency (screen shot).

Any guidance that can be offered here will be GREATLY appreaciated.

Attachment Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.06.00 AM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.10.06 AM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 3 activity completion, complete competency.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. Does the FAQ "What is the difference between Default and Proficient when setting up competency scales?" help? The link is from Competencies FAQ

I think that if you want the competency to be met automatically when a Quiz is passed then you need to set the Default to Complete?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Additionally, if the student does not complete/pass the quiz the competency in the student's learning plan will be displayed as Not Yet Rated.
There is no value is creating the incomplete scale value as the default value, because you will need to manual update all students who completed/pass the quiz.
This would be extremely labor intensive.
Kind Regards
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steven Silvern -

Yes!  So, in the scales configuration "default" means this is the automatic result when a student successfully completes a competency.  And "proficiency" means items that can be rated manually by someone supervising the student's completion of a competency.

Thus, if I want students to be rated by a supervisor as either complete or incomplete both of those items would be selected under proficiency, and if I want a student to have a competency automatically marked as complete when they have finished the competency then that is the default.

Thank you.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
At the course activity the Default value kicks in automatically if the activity that grants the Competency = Complete the competency.
The other course activity condition - is manual - This is when you want the instructor/teacher to rate each student's competency -
This would be used if you had an essay or a task that the student has to be observed....and there could be scale values of; Good, Superior, Expert to choose from.
Proficiency is displayed on the competency within the student's learning plan. It is Proficient or not Proficient - any or all of your scale values can be deemed as proficient.
I have Completed and excused/exempt in many of my competency scales.
Both are proficient, but only Completed is the default value. I sometimes need to manually excuse/exempt a student from an activity.
Kind regards

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Steven, exactly so.

This terminology is so confusing to most people that I change it in the language strings to "Automatically awarded" and "Manually awarded". If some people are used to the technical terms, I will put "Automatically awarded (default)" etc. If you are not familiar with the Language customization tool, here is the documentation on how to use it.

There are four strings I usually change:

Component: tool_ip.php
String identifiers: default, proficient, scale_help

Component: core_competency.php
String identifier: errorscaleconfiguration 

Most of the other appearances of the word "proficient" make sense to those not used to competencies, so I usually leave those as is. 

Attachment screenshot_9311.jpg
Attachment screenshot_9312.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Steven Silvern -

Woo hoo!  What a great tool.  Thank you Randy.  I hope the language customization tool works with other components as well.  "Evidence of prior learning" drives people insane.  It should just be "evidence of learning." 😀

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Steven,

Ah, "prior" learning. Yes!

The language customization tool works with everything: any string that appears in the Moodle interface, including any additional plugins you add, will be in that found in that tool and can be changed. If you have any questions on its use, the best place to check is in the Languages forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=43.