Shared Hosting: Error message "Cannot open the PDF. The file may be corrupt, or in an unsupported format."

Shared Hosting: Error message "Cannot open the PDF. The file may be corrupt, or in an unsupported format."

by Learning Computer -
Number of replies: 4
Hi, I am new to moodle and shared hosting, I installed moodle using softaculous in my hosting. So far everything went fine and we can use all features in moodle except viewing the document while grading. The error is the same with the one discussed in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=393936. We keep getting this error message. I have read many discussion in the forum but most of them are for dedicated server and I could not understand. I hardly can find something related to shared hosting. Can anyone help me with this issue? thank you in advance
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Learning Computer

Re: Shared Hosting: Error message "Cannot open the PDF. The file may be corrupt, or in an unsupported format."

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Two things ... "softaculous' and 'shared hosting' ...

Maybe the reason one cannot find much on 'shared hosting' is because it's not  good environment for Moodle.

May not be able to install nor configure software for document conversions needed for grading ... ghostscript, unoconv (python), and certainly not the 'listener' service as those would be server wide ... all customers on the shared host.

Think, with shared host, you will have to try using Google for document conversions ... and if that doesn't work ...

seek better hosting.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: Shared Hosting: Error message "Cannot open the PDF. The file may be corrupt, or in an unsupported format."

by Learning Computer -
Thank you Ken,
Reading your comment make me stop finding solution that never exist.
How about if I move to Virtual Private Server? will I be able to solve the problem? Can I still use softaculous in VPS?
In reply to Learning Computer

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Oh yeah!  Forgot to 'comment' on Softac ...

IF you move to VPS ... stand a better chance of solving issues and getting support suggestions ... just don't go for cheapo VPS with little space.

Yeah ... Softac will install OK, although no documentation on how it installs other than what users discover about ... usually after a failed update/upgrade to Moodle.   That's when providers will bail on ya and tell you to come to these forums to resolve the issue ... hmmmm created by commercial software that provider provided you, the customer, with no support.

Bottom line ... *criminal*

Have never seen a Softac person in these forums!

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Learning Computer -

Thank you for your advice, sorry if my word selections sometimes are not appropriate, I use english as a second language. For now, I am thinking about moving to VPS then.