BigBlueButtonBN - Run on multiple servers

BigBlueButtonBN - Run on multiple servers

by Kerem Erzurumlu -
Number of replies: 12

Hi everyone,

We plan to to use Moodle and BigBlueButton on our university. But we have to use multiple BBB servers (single server will not be enough for us).

Other solution like scalelite has their own disadvantages.

I am planning to install multiple BBB servers with same secret key and redirect request according to the "Virtual classroom name" (I will append servername to it and parse it to generate hostname). Yes some code modification will be required...

I am planning to make the code change on the "get" function which is located classes/locallib/config.php (line 129).

Any additional ideas will be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kerem Erzurumlu

Re: BigBlueButtonBN - Run on multiple servers

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Same need
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

by Kerem Erzurumlu -

After many investigation, read and test, I decided to use scalelite option. 

In reply to Kerem Erzurumlu

by Adam Jenkins -
Picture of Plugin developers
As far as I know, scalelite would be needed to ensure that users entering the same BBB room don't get sent to different servers behind the load balancer.

However, I don't have the first idea how to go about installing scalelite. Does anyone have an outline of a procedure that would work? It seems that the github is a pre-build docker image. Should Postgres and Redis also be added to the server as docker images? Which should be installed first, second and third?

Any direction appreciated.
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by pinguas pinguim -
Hi,

I have the same need. All Web meetings server can share secrets using API, But most of then are delegating the hole server for moodle as frontend.
I will be developing an front end by category or course predefined by default. I was needing an quickly solution for my today project. If there are no ways. I ask to you if we can form a team to develop this plugin fast.
There is enough information at develop documentation at moodle official website.

Case nobody solve this? Does Somebody want to join?
The choice to connect with the bbb server should be available at the plugin. On installation, should have an way to configure that by default.
If somebody have the solution Please post at this! If not... who is volunteer for the solution? Post here to start work together. I do not want to work alone.
In reply to pinguas pinguim

by pinguas pinguim -
Hi,

The Scalelite will solve my problems. I had help at bbb forum.
Do you know a good documentation for installing it?

Is there an official Web Site, instead of githubs web site?
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Jesus Federico -
I know this is an old thread, but I still see people asking for help on this regard. So, here is a post I published a few months ago

https://medium.com/@jesusfederico_39370/scalelite-lazy-deployment-745a7be849f6
In reply to Jesus Federico

by Med Attaouile -

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Can you please give me a simple tutorial guide to install bbb on multiple servers I've seen your tutorial but I didn't understand.

I mean should I do the steps you have in your link in every single server or .. I'm lost really and I need to install pool bbb servers for a school.

Please I need your help
In reply to Med Attaouile

by Jesus Federico -
Hey there,

Well, if you need to install a pool of servers, you should have the pool of servers to start with. And then you add a loadbalancer (scalelite) in front of them the same way you would do with any other application.

Now, responding to your original question, unfortunately there is no easy way to explain this, nor a one single recipe for all use cases. Those steps are the simplest deployment you could possible have and were written in response to a more cryptically documented steps provided in the official repo. But they are meant to be for someone who already know what the technology they are based on works.

So if you are still missing some pieces from there, it does mean that you probably need someone else doing this deployment for you. This person should be able to figure out the architecture you need, and even perhaps to choose a deployment method that better fits your needs. That likely would look different than the one shown in the article.

One last thing I can add is that, because this is unrelated to the Moodle Plugin or Moodle itself, you will find better answers and guidance in the BigBlueButton mailing list.

Good luck,

JF
In reply to Jesus Federico

در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButtonBN - Run on multiple servers

by Mehdi abdolkarimi -

https://medium.com/@jesusfederico_39370/scalelite-lazy-deployment-745a7be849f6

Hello my friend

this url is not Available

may be do it 

tanks

In reply to Mehdi abdolkarimi

Re: در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButtonBN - Run on multiple servers

by Jesus Federico -
What do you mean it is not available? Was medium.com triggering error when you checked out? Because I can see it now, and I haven't changed anything