MoodleCloud & unprecedented demand from COVID-19: Impacts and next steps

MoodleCloud & unprecedented demand from COVID-19: Impacts and next steps

by Lee Goldsworthy -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

MoodleCloud are currently experiencing staggering new demand (more than 20,000 new schools and businesses in the last 10 days), and I wanted to share the impacts of this increased demand, and a few things that we're doing in MoodleCloud to respond to this.

1. Infrastructure Uptime - We have succeeded in keeping all services up during this period by staying one step ahead of the hard bottlenecks that would have otherwise caused outages at specific threshholds of users/sites. This has been our focus (to the exclusion of all else) over the last 10 days.

2. Infrastructure Performance - We have not succeeded in maintaining fast page load times during this period (as this has been secondary to #1 above). We are now at the final stages of testing and expect to add capacity for more sites and concurrent users in the EU and US regions today and tomorrow.

We expect these upcoming changes to substantially improve performance to usual page load times, but until then, users in EU and US regions will see slower page load times during their local business hours peak times.

3. Customer Support - We have not succeeded in maintaining our usual ticket respond/resolve times during this period. We have added support staff to the MoodleCloud team and are training them as we speak to assist with bringing down support ticket respond/resolve times.

I understand this experience is challenging for you at a time when you need Moodle most, and for that I would like to apologise. Please know that the MoodleCloud team are doing everything we can right now to get back to providing a great service to you, and to the 20,000+ new schools and businesses that have signed up to MoodleCloud in the last 10 days alone.

Hit me up below if you have any questions or concerns, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers
Lee Goldsworthy
Product Manager - MoodleCloud

რეიტინგების საშუალო: Useful (5)
In reply to Lee Goldsworthy

Re: MoodleCloud & unprecedented demand from COVID-19: Impacts and next steps

by Lee Goldsworthy -
Hi again everyone,

I would like to apologise for yet another day of reduced performance. Our engineers attempted to deploy an upgrade today, but we chose to stop before finishing because we thought it posed too much of a risk of interrupting service for all users in the EU region.

We have rescheduled completing this upgrade to 2020-03-25 23:00 and will provide an update here when I have more information.

I am deeply regretful that we have not met your expectations on this occasion. The whole MoodleCloud team are working hard to resolve these performance issues as soon as possible for you.

Thanks
Lee Goldsworthy
Product Manager - MoodleCloud
რეიტინგების საშუალო: Useful (1)

by Lee Goldsworthy -
Hi folks,

In our ongoing efforts to restore performance we've had some wins. Short term tweaks made about an hour ago have restored operation of both EU and US regions to normal performance. These are temporary in nature to buy us some time until we finalise the upgrade in the upcoming change scheduled for 23:00 GMT+0.

More information as I know it.

Cheers
Lee
რეიტინგების საშუალო: Useful (2)

by Lee Goldsworthy -
Hi folks,

EU region capacity upgrades were successfully completed overnight. MoodleCloud Engineers are monitoring closely to ensure this region performs optimally today and going forwards.

US region has temporary performance measures in place to ensure performance is not impacted between now and this region's capacity upgrades, currently scheduled for 2020-03-26 23:00 GMT+0.

Thanks again for all your patience, we're almost there!

Cheers
Lee
რეიტინგების საშუალო: Useful (1)