Quickmail Update - Student Access

Quickmail Update - Student Access

by Mark Nielsen -
Number of replies: 14
Quickmail now supports Student Access cool

Inspired by: Matt Crosslin (discussion here)

Major changes include:
  • Each Quickmail instance can be configured. Student access and group mode are the two configurable items as of now. Group mode respects course force group mode and defaults to the course's group mode setting.
  • Quickmail History now pages and is sortable.
  • Icons have been added to the block display and to Quickmail History.
  • Couple of bug fixes, code clean up and PHPDoc comments added.
All of these changes are found in CVS/contrib/block_quickmail_1.5 and it can be downloaded here.

NOTE: If you use the link, it may take a day for it to update. If you grab it from the CVS directly, you will not have to wait.

Please post any problems/bugs to this thread.

Cheers and enjoy,
Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Nielsen

Re: Quickmail Update - Student Access

by Alexandra Gómez -
Hello Mark. Now it works perfectly, but I still have another question. Reviewing the files I found one named config_instance.html, but I haven't been able to access it from Moodle. How can I change the configurations? blush

Thanks!!

In reply to Alexandra Gómez

by Matt Crosslin -
I just got this installed, and I like the way it works.

I believe that the configurations can be changed when Editing is turned on and you click on the Configuration symbol, if you haven't already found that.
In reply to Alexandra Gómez

by Mark Nielsen -
Like what Matt said:  Turn on Editing in your course.  Then you will see an edit button in the Quickmail block.  Click on that to configure the settings.

Perhaps a settings link would be nice in the footer for teachers?  What do you think?

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Mark Nielsen -
I went ahead and added that footer link for the settings.  I think it will help to avoid confusion later on.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Miroslav Fikar -
Included follows Slovak (sk) version of the language file. Many thanks for the block.

One question: where in code can it be said that Quickmail is disabled for students as default? If I upgrade the old version with no support for students, some of the teachers may complain that the default behaviour has changed.

Miro
In reply to Miroslav Fikar

by Mark Nielsen -
To change the defaults, look in blocks/quickmail/block_quickmail.php find this bit of code:

function load_defaults() {
if (empty($this->config)) {
/// blank config
$this->load_course();

$defaults = new stdClass;
$defaults->groupmode = $this->course->groupmode;
$defaults->allowstudents = 1;

$this->instance_config_save($defaults);
}
}

Just change:
$defaults->allowstudents = 1;
To:
$defaults->allowstudents = 0;

Later this should be configurable in the admin settings I suppose.

Cheers,
Mark

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Miroslav,

Looks like the file you attached is not the lang file smile

If you post the lang file, I'll be more than willing to add it to the CVS. Also, make sure that you get the newest version of the lang file from CVS so you can translate all of the language strings.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Miroslav Fikar -
Well, I think it was the correct language file, but it gets garbled due to its php extension when somebody clicks on it. Attached is the same file but zipped. wink
Miroslav

by Mark Nielsen -
Ok, got the language file in the CVS in contrib/block_quickmail_1.5/blocks/quickmail/lang/sk

Thanks for your contribution!
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Mark,

Does this Student Access also allow the students to send attachments? We hacked our Quickmail for that purpose.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Mark Nielsen -
Hmmm... I just tried this and it didn't work sad  Looks like you have to be a teacher with edit privileges to look at the course files.  Didn't think of that one.  How did you allow students to send attachments?
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Mark,

Check out Petri Niemi's entries in this thread.

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Mark Nielsen -
Thanks!  I took the code from that thread and made some improvements.  All the code is in CVS now and students should be able to send attachments.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Mark,

Wonderful, we will try out the new and improved Quickmail in our Moodle 1.6 test server.

Rgrds,
Paul.