Setting up Quiz for different Timezones

Setting up Quiz for different Timezones

by Adrian Campey -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there,

I am currently trying to set up a quiz that will be taken by students in different timezones. I want the quiz to start at 10am (local time) on 08/04/2020 for every student on the course. For the students that are going to be in different timezones, e.g 8 hours ahead, they will end up taking the test first, 8 hours ahead of the main group. Will I have to set their quiz access to 2am 08/04/20 as that is the time it will be here for me seeting up the quiz, and 10am for them or will setting the quiz to open at 10am take into account the students local time zones and will automatically open at 10am 08/04/2020 for them, whatever timezone they may be in?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Campey

Re: Setting up Quiz for different Timezones

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I don't think that you can do it quite this way. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

As an idea, why not set the quiz to be open for a 24-hour period, let students start whenever they wish, but restrict the time to an hour (or two?) In my online courses, where I do have students scattered around the world, this is what I do. Works great!

I also let students know that they can set their profile timezone to whatever they want, and then all assignment due times will show correctly in their timezone. Oh, I also let students know that my university's timezone is CST, and this is the basis of setting all assignment times in Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adrian Campey

Re: Setting up Quiz for different Timezones

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The time is an absolute time, so in the example you give, you will have to set the time to 2am your time.

If you have different students in different time-zones, then you could put them in groups, and use Group overrides to have different start times for each group of students. https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Quiz_settings#Group_and_User_overrides

RIck's suggestion to just control it with time limit is also worth considering.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)