Automated Backups are taking more time to create

Automated Backups are taking more time to create

by Alain Raap -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We're running Moodle 3.5.9 for some time now and I managed to get the automated backup working for 4600 courses on our DB server outside the Moodle Cron. This worked fine and without problems.
We have changed our Moodle infrastructure and moved the moodledata to the Moodle server (previous the DB server) and I see that our largest backup that took 7 hours to complete, now takes 10,5 hours. I run the automated backup script outside Moodle Cron on the Moodle server, and this seems slower. Btw, we used to read the moodledata via NFS, and we removed this connection by moving the data to the Moodle server.
Is a backup process doing more work on the DB server than reading and gathering the moodledata? That's the only reason I can think of. Also the performance of our new Moodle stack seems to have become slower and I don't understand that. Our rating on the Moodle benchmark report is 45 points.

Our Moodle stack runs on Redhat 7.x, Apache 2.4, PHP 7.2, Redis 3.2 (8CPU, 32Gb RAM)  and DB server is MariaDB (8CPU, 94Gb RAM).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alain Raap

Re: Automated Backups are taking more time to create

by Marius S -
When you make automated backups do you include logs?
If yes, does your standard_log table a lof of records?

Some time ago had automated backup done within 20-25hours, then at some point there was this issue (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56223) and Moodle started making tons of "Calendar event updated" logs and filled standard_log table, and eventually our automated backups were made within 4-5 days!
So we unchecked include logs to our automated backups and now they are done again within ~20hours.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marius S

Re: Automated Backups are taking more time to create

by Alain Raap -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
We haven't checked 'include logs' in the automated backup settings, all settings are the same as the settings on the current system.
I think that because the queries to gather the backup data aren't run on the 'localhost' server anymore, now are taking much
more time over the network for this large backup that only runs in the weekend.