Embedding PDFs to view and preventing download

Embedding PDFs to view and preventing download

by Linn Song -
Number of replies: 14

Hi, I couldn't find a topic for this...
On our site, there is no info on Version, just a moodle icon linked to the moodle.org site.

Is it possible to embed a PDF into an entry/course so students can view a pdf in moodle, but cannot download it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Linn Song

Re: Embedding PDFs to view and preventing download

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No.

It's nothing to do with Moodle. It's the way the internet works. They could even take a picture with their phone....
In reply to Howard Miller

by Linn Song -
OK, thanks.
I know that anyone can take a pic, but the "harder" it is to distribute e.g., 10 pages, the less inclined students are to do it.
In reply to Linn Song

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

If you search Google for "prevent pdf's from downloading" it appears that it might be harder for you to do this than to simply let students download the file and read it whenever they want.

I cannot recall ever not being able to download a PDF, but this is just me.  And if someone were to prevent me, I would just highlight the text, copy, and paste it into a word processor.  Wouldn't you?  Or use OCR software to convert.

I wonder what it is that you want to protect?  (Hopefully, nothing that you had downloaded from some other place.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Linn Song -

Thanks for the reply. It was just a thought I had since I record some of my lectures and embed the YouTube video into moodle (I know that that they can also link to YouTube, but I began wondering if I could embed other things without linking or downlaoding).
I have the experience that if it is "too" time-consuming - even if possible - that students won't bother. (Up until 2018 here in Germany there were no Fair-Use laws and one could not copy even a single page to distribute amongst students...so in general everyone is still very cautious about protecting anything we put online). But, I am mainly concerned about a 50 page booklet I wrote and layouted (full of texts, pics and links) for my students. This I give to them free of charge, but I don't want it just circulating around freely. I know there is no real way of "protecting" it aside from not giving it to students at all, but as I mentioned, if it is "too time-consuming", then most would never bother photographing, etc. it.

In reply to Linn Song

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As a long-term (i.e. old) developer, I've had this a lot. How can I distribute developed code without giving it away for other people to use as they like? I've found the answer is to get in there first and give it away for others to use as they like. Once you have got over that step you start thinking differently about things. It's very liberating.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Linn Song

by Rick Jerz -
Linn, students can download YouTube videos!

Yes, if students find studying "too time-consuming" they may not study.

Put a copyright notice on your book and then sue every school that uses it. You might make millions of dollars. Of course, is it worth your time?

Yes, you can password protect a PDF file. Then, if it circulates, only those who know the password can open it. Some student might accept this as a challenge and show you that that have found ways to break in without the password.

Or, if you give it away, you might become famous and everyone will pay you big bucks to teach for them?

On a more serious note, perhaps your students will talk positively about your abilities, your school will recognize your contributions, and they will promote you.

Just some ideas for you. I do like Howard's advice, too.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Linn Song -
Thanks Rick!
Yes, I know that it is possible basically to download everything. I originally was also thinking about issuu...
E.g., https://issuu.com/rmitarchitecture/docs/mp_catalogue_sem_2_2019_v1
One can have a look at the portfolio but the button does not directly allow for a download.

In anycase, the password suggestion is good - as is Howard's advice. However, I still do worry a bit about things from others that I may make available.

And finally, I think I have a lot of respect from students...but my university could care less. The system here in Germany is very different than where I am from.

Thanks again!
In reply to Linn Song

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, but that is not a PDF.

Oh, I see. Students are fine. It's your administrators who might want to steal your work. Yes, I have know administrators who wanted to steal an instructor's work.
In reply to Linn Song

by Howard Miller -
In which case, why would they want to download it anyway? wink
In reply to Linn Song

by T LJ -
Been looking into this exact thing for alternate reasons, namely just the idea of embed a PDF in a page, seems possible to embed, maybe with the HTML?
https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/html/how-to-embed-pdf-in-html.html

This has an example of HTML with no-download for a PDF
In reply to T LJ

by Rick Jerz -
Your post made me want to say a little more to Linn.

I have all my "content" on my own server, and in my Moodle, I link to everything.

Many years ago I had a college Dean who had the opinion that anything that is on a university server belongs to the school. I solved this problem by buying my own low-cost server ($5 US/month.) Along with solving this immediate (attitude) problem, I have found that this technique of managing content on my own server, and linking to content within Moodle, providing all kinds of benefits. I even gave a presentation at a MoodleMoot about my technique.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Linn Song -
Thanks, Rick. Very interesting idea - and thanx also for the link to the presentation.