Activity restriction based on user role

Activity restriction based on user role

by Arvind Murali -
Number of replies: 5

In my moodle site, I have a manager account creating course content. I also have a teacher user definition profile. Users with the teacher profile belong to certain groups. Lets say I have teacher 1 belonging to Group 1. The course has Group 1 and Group 2. Whenever the manager creates a new activity, I want every group in the site to have access to it and since the activity will not have have restrict access enabled, this should work as expected. However, if a teacher profile creates an activity, I want the activity to automatically be restricted to be only visible to the group they belong to. Basically I want the activity creation to automatically check the current user role and the group and include it as a restrict access condition and hide the activity for those not matching the restriction. How can I go about doing this?Restriction

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arvind Murali

Re: Activity restriction based on user role

by Евгений Мамаев -
Picture of Plugin developers

One possible way to do this is to make a local plugin which will "listen" to course_module_created event and add restriction to just created activity

In reply to Евгений Мамаев

by Arvind Murali -

Great suggestion. I'll look into this. Any particular plugin I can look into to make it easier for me to understand how to go about this? I'm pretty new to this.

Thank you.

In reply to Arvind Murali

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This will not be easy to accomplish, even the availability role (https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_role) will not solve your problems:
  • groups were developed to group students - not teachers. So first you will have to avoid that teachers can modify/add groups.
  • restrictions were also not developed to restrict teachers. So you will need to rewrite user restrictions.
  • last but not least you want to give teachers permissions to create new activities but also restrict them to edit other ones. To have this functionality, you will need a herd of programmers to add a new edit_module permission to Moodle.
Instead of restricting teachers, perhaps you can upgrade your student role. But I have the impression that you will end up with more code than content.
In reply to Renaat Debleu

by Arvind Murali -

Yeah. You are right. In this case, to truly implement "restriction" I would have to go down that path. I'm going to just setup "hurdles" for now to improve the user experience. In other words, If a spirited teacher wanted, they might be able to make changes by regrouping and other crafty ways or removing restriction manually.