Quizzes during live streams

Quizzes during live streams

by Stephen T -
Number of replies: 11

So we're currently looking at Moodle 3.8 as a means to deliver vocational training remotely during the current COVID-19 outbreak. Classes would normally be delivered in-person, but that's obviously not practical for the foreseeable future. 

I've been asked to look at ways and means we can deliver live streaming from teachers, with in-class quizzes displayed alongside the video.

I'm trying to cater for pretty non technical audiences, our users may only have access to a cellphone and therefore can't open different browser tabs or windows simultaneously to view a live stream alongside a quiz.

Definitely a little confused by the state of quizzes in Moodle generally. Active Quiz claims to be an update to Realtime Quiz, but is only listed as compatible with Moodle 3.2, while Active Quiz is listed as supporting 3.8 but 'Build Failing'. Then there's the built-in Moodle Quizzes, although they don't seem to offer the same realtime capabilities.

Has anyone attempted to achieve the above? Do you have any suggestions? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen T

Re: Quizzes during live streams

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What are you intending to use to do the live streaming?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Stephen T -
We have several options there, Jitsi and BigBlueButton have been discussed, but we could as easily use anything else.
In reply to Stephen T

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well I have never heard of Jitsi before and I have been following this sort of thing before the web had images.It looks very interesting. I can recommend BigBlueButton as it has very good integration with Moodle. However unless you really know what you are doing it is best to use streaming services hosted by experts (e.g. Blindside Networks for BBB). Managing audio/video streaming is significantly harder than managing the delivery of web pages.

I am not aware of any product or combination of products that does what you want 'out of the box', especially if you mean really 'live' rather than simply playing back an existing recording.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephen T

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It appears that you might want students to be taking a quiz, in Moodle, while they are watching your live streaming instruction.

If so, first, you have to figure out how you are going to live stream? Are you using Zoom, WebEx, etc.?

Then, students can open up (let's say) Zoom in one browser window, and a Moodle quiz in another browser window and they can be taking the quiz while watching your instruction.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Stephen T -
As I said above, we can't bank on users being able to open multiple browser windows, some may only have a cellphone.

The goal is to get these within a single page, ideally a single page within Moodle. It doesn't need to be a video conference product specifically.
In reply to Stephen T

by AL Rachels -
Unless you do some development work, I don't think there is anyway in Moodle right now that you can be doing a live video stream and quiz on the same page. I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a new type of "Description" question which could be programed to include a video stream.

If a live video stream with a live chat channel would do any good, you could use Twitch, which includes a stream chat to the side of the video.
In reply to Stephen T

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yes, using only a cellphone's small screen makes this a bit awkward. But from the cellphone, might they watch the video with one app, pause it, switch to the quiz, and answer the question.

Why not tell the students that if they want to use a cellphone, they will need two cellphones? Or work in teams of two? 🙄
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Stephen T -

Hey Rick, thanks for your reply.

In short it goes back to the original challenge, these are low-income users who may only possess a cellphone. They either work in the hospitality sector, or are aspiring to do so.

As a result it does create certain challenges, hence my original request. Were I able to split the two elements out I could simply use the existing quiz module alongside BBB. 

In reply to Stephen T

by Marcus Green -
Is it a live stream in the sense of what is showing is happening live at the time the person is attempting the question or is it a requirement to show pre-recorded video?
In reply to Stephen T

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
The best and easiest solution to this would be to record your lecture and then use the H5P module to embed questions in the recorded video. This will also put less strain on everyone have to depend on an internet connection that might not be strong enough to handle the live streaming and allow for people to connect when available.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Stephen T

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Stephen,

Take a look at this discussion on embedding a Zoom meeting or webinar using an iframe.

Then you may ask where to put the iframe in the quiz. As AL mentioned, you can put it in a Description question, but I will scroll off the screen. Here, I suggest a way to fix a video in a quiz, which is just a workaround because I don't know of a standard solution for this.