Moodle performance is slow due to uploading audi and video files

Moodle performance is slow due to uploading audi and video files

by Abu Ali -
Number of replies: 4

Hi dear Moodler, 

Due to Covid-19, we have uploaded our all lecture materials in form of audio and videos. I find that my moodle services are very slow and it takes a long time to load the page. As an asmin, what should i do to make it normal services in moodle. My cron file is running properly after each 5 minutes. 

Thanks 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abu Ali

Re: Moodle performance is slow due to uploading audi and video files

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moving to Hardware and performance....
In reply to Abu Ali

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I run my own small Moodle on a VPS. In the past, I have had similar problems by putting my videos on my same server. I am not sure what might be your problem. Earlier this year, I decided to use Vimeo (I am not associated with Vimeo nor do I own their stock) and have had good success. Vimeo is not free, but it seems to work well. Here is an example:

So what I suggest is to separate video (and audio) content from your Moodle server.
In reply to Abu Ali

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
More demand needs more resources: more CPU power, more RAM, better network. Isn't that logical?

If you can't afford all three, hence want to which one first, you'll find general advice in the https://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance_recommendations. If you need advice specific your site, then you must come with the full details about your site.
In reply to Abu Ali

by James Steerpike -
I think the multimedia files are in Moodledata and are links. That shouldn't slow down your database. The load and display are where the performance hit will occur. Open to correction.
So when are the videos opening? Page loads depend on size.
You also need to look at file sizes. Do students really need HD video of lecturers? Can you optimise file sizes?