Some settings/things I want to do with an optional quiz

Some settings/things I want to do with an optional quiz

by Angie Barrows -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle version 3.5

Is there a way to make a question no longer appear within a quiz once it's received a set number of correct answers--or, could I at least make the question hidden or no longer answerable upon receipt of that set number? Can that removed question get automatically replaced with a new question waiting to take its place--or, could a new question become viewable once another is hidden/no longer accessible to a student? Is it possible to link a quiz to another class--i.e., make it available for students in both classes to take--or would I have to create a new quiz for the second class?

If a quiz is not going to do what I'm asking, would another activity within Moodle accomplish these tasks (in addition to what a quiz already offers*)? For a sense of context, here is what I do in the classroom and what I'm trying to replicate through an online experience:

Each week I offer four extra credit word puzzles for the students to guess at. Each puzzle can get a maximum of four correct answers and then a new puzzle goes up in its place, ensuring plenty of options throughout the week. Students are free to guess as many times as they like and are not penalized for any incorrect answers. When the next week starts, last week's puzzles come down, four brand new ones go up on the board, and the process repeats. (This shouldn't be necessary for the Moodle portion as I have a record sheet on which I keep track, and I haven't figured out how to incorporate it into the quiz I've created thus far, but students earn half a point for each correctly answered puzzle and can do a maximum of ten such puzzles over the semester.)

*I'd like these functional features as well:

1) allow each puzzle (question)--images I upload--to be on its own page
2) allow students to freely move back and forth among the questions so they don't have to be done in order
3) allow students to answer each question individually, submitting their guess for each question one at a time rather than having to do all of the questions at once
4) allow students to optionally answer none, one, or all of the questions
5) allow students to know whether or not they are correct
6) allow students to attempt each question multiple times while doing the quiz (activity) and to re-attempt it again at another time
7) allow me to cut off access to the activity after a certain date and time

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angie Barrows

Re: Some settings/things I want to do with an optional quiz

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Others here might jump in and guide you, but I thought that I would begin with a quick and short response.

YES, if you want to create a plug-in to do this.
NO, if you want to use Moodle out of the box, so to speak.

Actually, there are some YESs to some of your specific needs, but to integrate all of these needs with YESs, well, the answer is NO.

For example, I would say YES to your #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 (I think) #7.  But this is for standard questions, not what you describe in your first paragraph.

Consider starting simple, then building up. Moodle can do a lot more than other LMSs, but it takes a while to learn. And, certainly, there are things that Moodle can't do unless you create the feature yourself.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Angie Barrows -
Thanks, Rick, I welcome your suggestions, though as you say it would take some learning to figure it out. I had come here with my question from the "General help" forum--to which you also responded--thinking maybe it would garner more responses, it being a quiz-specific forum, but I appreciate that you went further here and didn't simply repeat yourself. I've made points 1-7 do the best I can without the other features I asked about, and I simply add in new questions and edit the old ones appropriately; it seems to be working well enough.

Thanks again.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have you looked at choice? It isn't as robust and you can only do one question per choice but...it does limit the number of people choosing specific answers.  It might let you grade but...I think that you would want to do that manually. 

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I just about always am intrigued by questions like this, but due to the complexity of this one, I think it might help us help you, if you provide some pictures of what you are currently doing.