Question on Grades and Completions

Question on Grades and Completions

by Harrison Zipper -
Number of replies: 2

I am trying to use moodle to manage corporate compliance training. My goal is the to show students an embedded video from youtube and have them answer 10 questions related to the video. The questions are graded with a certain score require to pass.

I setup the training as a single lesson (within it's own course) that has a content page (the embedded video) and 10 question pages that follow. The system is grading the questions, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the test score/completion requirement work.

Under lesson settings:

• I set the Grade to Pass" at 70.00
  • Set completion tracking to "Show activity as complete when conditions are met" and
    • Checked the options under "Require View", "Require Grade", and "Require End Reached"

I also set the "Grade to Pass" at 70.00 in the Gradebook under the course itself and the lesson within.

I created a test user and intentionally failed the lesson/course. However, upon completion it says "congratulations - end of lesson" and says "Your score is 1 (out of 10). Your current grade is 10.0 out of 100." When I leave the course it says 100% complete on the dashboard

Is there a way to indicate at the time of completion that the student actually failed the course and needs to retake it to earn a passing grade? 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Harrison Zipper

Re: Question on Grades and Completions

by Kay Mo -

I am also working on developing a lesson, and I am quite surprised not to see the option:

Require passing grade. This option is not made available in the lesson BUT it is available in the Quiz settings.

See 2 screenshots attached for activity completion;

- lesson : no option to require a passing grade

- quiz : checkbox to require a passing grade

So, how did you solve this issue ? I am curious as I am developing a new lesson with quiz questions and I am quite concerned if the activity completion is not defined in a manner that would make sense for me and my students.

Thanks!

Kay

Attachment lesson-activity-completion-settings.png
Attachment quiz-activity-completion-settings.png
In reply to Harrison Zipper

Re: Question on Grades and Completions

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, if they reach the end, they have 100% complete for the purposes of Lesson. Take a look and see if it checked as complete or not in activity participation.  You can set the lesson to allow retakes, but you have to set it that way, not just expect it to allow.

You might be better off using quiz for what you're doing...