Can Not Cut - n- Paste! HELP-this is driving me to drink!

Can Not Cut - n- Paste! HELP-this is driving me to drink!

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 5
Well maybe I am looking for any good excuse for a drink smile

Greetings from Alaska
I can not cut-n-paste in Moodle and it drives me nutz when I want to share content from one course to the next.

Attached is an example. I am training faculty on how to use Moodle so I created a "sandbox" for all the teachers and am just cutting and pasting their sandbox descriptions in each course and it looks horrible unless I just do it from scratch and I just do not have time for that. I am happy to import the html code but when I do that the html tags are displayed.

I have been struggling with this for some time but am usually doing things last minute so I just do it from scratch but that is crazy. I am using Mozilla Firefox as my browser and have Windows XP OS and Moodle 1.5 ish.

If you can look at the attachment below (shows the text before I cut and pasted it and how it looks when viewed in Moodle) and provide me with any assistance I would be in your debt!
Attachment cutnpastechallenge.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Can Not Cut - n- Paste! HELP-this is driving me to drink!

by Steve Hyndman -

What are you cutting from? Moodle, Word, Etc?

It looks like you are just trying to cut and paste unformatted text, so just make sure you are copying text without a bunch of breaks...if you are cutting from within Moodle trext editor, then just click on the html icon and copy from there...first making sure the </ br> or tags are not there.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by A. T. Wyatt -
I don't know if this will help you, but it works for me!

If you are trying to cut and paste html formatted text, sometimes it works better to use the html toggle button.  It is the <> button on your editor, on the lower toolbar, next to the end.

Try toggling to the code in your original window and then pasting the CODE into the code view of the receiving window. 

Do be careful, however, with fonts and colors.  I have found a real conflict with the hexadecimal format for color used by many editors and the rgb format for color used by the html editor.  Some of my instructors were about "driven to drink" (and they DON'T drink!) over this.

The code trick will also work if you create documents in something like Dreamweaver.  Just grab the code and paste it into the code window of Moodle.  Much easier if you are working with tables and things.

Just one more option!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Ray Lawrence -
Debra,

Perhaps this is a theme related issue. I can't tell from the screenshot what theme is in use. May I suggest trying this with the "Standard" theme (if you are not already using it) to see if you get the same effect.

by Rob Barreca -
We might be having a similar problem. 

When users copy (from Word most of the time) and paste into the HTML editor it appears to paste just fine, but then when they click Save.  The resulting page does NOT save the pasted info.  Only when going to <> mode does saving actually save the pasted info. I think this is happening on both FF 1.5 and IE.

Are you guys not having your pasted code actually save? Or, is it just a weird formatting after you save it?

by Will Taylor -
You can try clicking the "kill word" icon in the text editor after pasting from WORD (3rd icon from the right in upper row, the little "W" icon), but it is probably much more predictable to copy/paste from a simpler text editor - NotePad or WordPad - & avoid all the WORD markup altogether.  If I have an existing WORD document I want to copy/paste into a MOODLE text editor window, I generally take the intermediate step of first copying into NotePad, then copy this into the MOODLE text editor window.  WORD markup is a mess.

Good advice as well to toggle into html mode (out of the text editor) & paste into this, then toggle back to the text editor to view it.  Into the html mode window, you could paste plain text, then toggle to text editor mode to mark it up as you wish; or you could paste in html-formatted text (hand-coded e.g. in NotePad, or wysiwyg edited in your favorite html editor, toggled to raw html code in your editor, & copied from this for pasting).

p.s. - am driven to drink anyhow.  I've got a few Bernard Pivos left from my last trip to Moravia.  If you live anywhere near Portland Oregon, I could probably help you out in that regard.  ;^)

- will