Student Role not Being Assigned Upon Enrolment

Student Role not Being Assigned Upon Enrolment

by Tim Davis -
Number of replies: 4

We offer new courses in fits and starts throughout the year.

Recently we discovered that students are successfully being enrolled in courses but are not being assigned the student role - which is set as the default in manual enrolment.

Oddly enough, they are able to access courses and view presentations, but they cannot view quizzes until we manually assign the "student" role, at which time the quizzes show up.

We were using Moodle 3.6.2 but I cannot remember if we ever actually enrolled any students while using this version. To rule out a version issue, I just successfully upgraded to 3.8.2 - but the same issue persists.

Does any of the above ring a bell for someone? I've exhausted what I know to try or look at.

Thanks,

Tim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Davis

Re: Student Role not Being Assigned Upon Enrolment

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim,

What enrolment method are you using to enrol students into courses? Sorry if it sounds obvious but have you checked that student is set as default assigned role there?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Davis -
Hi Helen,

I've checked and double-checked that a couple of times to make sure. The default enrolment method is set with student as the default assigned role.

Tim
In reply to Tim Davis

by Tim Davis -
And the thing that confuses is me is that other parts of the course (such as presentions) can still be viewed by the enrolled student without the role.
In reply to Tim Davis

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Do you use Face-to-Face and manually register/book?