Unenrolling a single user enrolled via cohort sync

Unenrolling a single user enrolled via cohort sync

von John Poodle -
Anzahl Antworten: 8

I am testing out the Cohort Sync enrollment method but I have realised that when using this it is not possible to manually unenroll a single user from a single course. The usual edit and delete enrollment icons are gone when using this. So it appears the only way to unenroll is to remove a user from the cohort but this will mean they are unenrolled from all courses synced to that cohort.

Is it not possible to unenroll from a single course and leave the rest of their enrollments as they are?

Mittelwert: Useful (1)
Als Antwort auf John Poodle

Re: Unenrolling a single user enrolled via cohort sync

von Randy Thornton -
Nutzerbild von Documentation writers
John,

The workaround for this is to enroll the user in the course using Manual enrollment, so now it has two enrollment methods: Cohort and Manual. You can then remove it from the Cohort and it will be left with the Manual enrollment method only.

This works because all the enrollment method does is grant access to the course in a role. The grades and other user information don't care about how they get in as long as the user and role are the same.
Als Antwort auf Randy Thornton

von John Poodle -
Hi John, thank you for that. With manual enrollment though that would mean that you lose the automated benefits of cohort sync since you would need to manually enrol each user. At the moment I am using a plugin that auto adds users to a cohort based on their profile fields, which would no longer work I would think?

von Randy Thornton -
My solution allows you to "manually unenroll a single user from a single course" as you asked, so if a user is in a cohort enrolled in a course and you need to unenroll the user from a course, swap the method to manual, take then from the cohort, then you can unenroll them from the manual method to get them out of the course, leaving all the other cohort members still enrolled as before.

Now, for sure, this is a method for an exceptional use case, though. It may do what you need in some situations. For example, if you have to leave the user in the cohort to keep them enrolled in other courses and just get them out of one, then this method won't work, you need another way to do it.

These are the pros and cons of cohorts: basically it works as designed if ALL the users will take ALL the same courses. Otherwise, problems will always arise if you have exceptional cases you need to manage one by one or group by group.

Some potential ways around this are 1) to have several different cohorts that overlap, so perhaps a master cohort of all users and some subset cohorts for the subset or odd or exceptional cases, in which case, you have to plan your cohorts carefully; or 2) you can use another mass enrollment method such as file upload to do manual work, or external enrollments, etc. I see people do both of these but usually if you have a lot of Cohorts that are working okay, then making "sub-cohorts" to handle exceptional cases is a good way to go.

There is nothing wrong technically with mixing and matching and swapping enrollment methods to help solve such one off problems. It is more a matter of your sanity as an admin and keeping track of things as to how you do it: if you have to do this once a month and swap users around to/from cohorts/manually, no problem. If you have to do this every hour, then Cohorts perhaps are not the best method to match how your enrollments are really working, when your exceptions are more common than you think.

von Amadeusis Vision -

Could this feature be consider during the next upcoming versions: disable user rights even when they are part of cohot sync?

Cohort sync is an excellent tool and is used during the whole school year when all the studygroup takes the major. Yet  by the 2/3 classmeeting some students discover they will use old experiences and they need to removed. In this case we use extra manual work currently and create internal groups.

Or perhaps I'm missing the solution and by now there is already a solution to disable cohort sync added users at the cource?

Als Antwort auf Amadeusis Vision

von Zoran Jančić -
Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers
That would be perfect for so many cases! Actually, manual enrollment already has the feature to preserve user enrolled along with his/her roles after enrollment expires so you can see the user in all reports. Why not implement the exact same functionality for cohort sync? User interface is already there in cohort sync enrollment plugin. There is a drop down where you can choose what happens with user's enrollment when he/she i not in the cohort anymore. For cohort sync enrollment method, you can choose only two options at the moment: Unenroll from the course or Disable course enroll and remove roles. The third option "Disable course enroll and keep roles" would be fantastic. Users wouldn't have access to the course after they are not in the cohort anymore but a teacher or a manager could see them in all reports just like they still have access to the course. The way it works now, a lot of data about user activities in the course is lost or not available throught reports when he/she looses all the roles from the course.

von John Poodle -
Hi Randy, thank you for your explanation. The setup that we have is that users self enroll and unenroll themselves, so that they are able to control the learning they have access to themselves. Therefore requiring an admin to do this is not an option unfortunately. Is there no way for a user to self unenroll from a single course after they have been added via a cohort?

von Randy Thornton -
John

I'm a bit confused by the mixing of self enroll with cohorts.

If a user enrolls in a course using self-enrollment, then any cohort membership they may or may not have is irrelevant: it is the the Self-Enrollment method that enrolls and unenrolls them, as an individual. And if a user self-enrolls, they can self unenroll (unless you take that away).

If a user is enrolled via cohort then they can't unenroll themselves because they can't take themselves out of the cohort. Actually, the way to think of cohort enrollment is that it is the cohort, not the individuals, that is actually enrolled in the course. But as part of membership in a cohort, users inherit the courses that the cohort is enrolled in. Basically, cohorts are enrolled in courses and users are members of a cohort. But users can't manage their cohort memberships: it's a club controlled by you not them.

(However, if you are BOTH allowing them to self-enroll AND you are also adding them to a cohort that's in a course, then you are double enrolling them, once with each method. But you should never need to do that since if they were enrolled via a cohort there is no need to also have them self enroll as there are already in the course anyway. If that is situation, then you would want to look at removing one of the other of those enrollment methods so there is only one per user.)

von Dhandapani MEDA -

Hi

There is side and bad side for the Moodle Cohort-sync function, it is good if you have an administer looking after the enrollment process to your courses. where your role will be just looking after teaching and assessment regardless who is in the class group.

If you are conducting a stand alone single course it is a good idea to use Cohort-sync. it is quick and unfriendly to add all the students without hiccups. However, if you are conducting numerous courses and you need the students to be enrolled in those, it is better to add your students using the self enrollment method or manual method.

I faced numerous issues with my courses, I am still waiting for the developers input in getting some clarifications. so i can use best approach of enrollment methods