Hi, I’m Carsten Schöffel, a developer from the university of Fulda (Germany) and want to participate at the GSOC 2020 this year. I have several ideas which I want to discuss with you, before submitting them.
1. Boost improvements
As I implemented a child
theme for boost the past several months, I would be glad to be able to improve boost as a whole. Even if I dont really know which project I could tackle there.
First suggestion: I think there are some features of our new theme like
- The new burgermenu
The centered course search
- The changed breakpoint of the navdrawer to make boost more suitable for tablets
which would be benefical for boost too. If wanted I can name some more features which we could discuss (Boost-Campus also got some cool
features). Alternatively you can have a look at our theme here: https://gogs.informatik.hs-fulda.de/cschoeffel/Nitro
I’d be happy if there is a TODO list or a big project for boost which I could approach.
2. Improvements for the usertour plugin
Every day we get a bunch of support requests from professors and other users from our moodle systems. Some of them are quite complex, and other one’s are quite trivial. Some days there are support request which are trivial but better explained in person
than by telephone, as you don’t always know what page the user is on and what he see’s.
So one idea was to modify the plugin usertour to create some sort of interactive manual. The user would go to a special ‚help‘ site which displays some sort
of selection method for several problems. For example a dropdown. The user then selects his problem. For example „How do I upload a PDF/Picture/… to my course“. Dependent on the problem the next selection method will pop up, to specify his problem further.
This is necessary to be able to deliver a complete solution to his problem. Again a dropdown field for example. The user will be doing this until his problem is fully classified. So the next dropdown would be „To which course do you wan’t to upload this
file to?“. And the next would be „To which section do you want to upload this file to?“. If this specifies the problem completely, a ‚start‘-button will appear and the user will be guided to his course and will be given a step-by-step manual on how to
solve his problem.
- Decrease in support effort
- A huge help if a university wants to switch to boost as users will have to get reused to the new theme
- An improvement over traditional support videos
- The user can request this help as often as he wants to
- It's going to be a more complex plugin than usertours, I think
- If we modify the usertour plugin we will have to get rid of the "1 tour per url" limit
- Manuals will have to be written in software, I think (see the first disadvantage)
- The manuals will somehow be dependent on the theme, I think
3. Add custom user profile fields to showuseridentity
To my understanding there isn't any option to add any custom fields to the participants list of a course. For that the showuseridentity setting must support custom fields. As `admin/settings/users.php` line 177 shows: "// Custom user profile fields are currently not supported.". When I remember correctly this feature was requested over the past several years once and then. I would be glad to resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance,