Enbedding video into courses

Enbedding video into courses

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 21

Seems to be two options

1. Add video to a repository
  2. Add a link to a  video sharing site such as Youtube
The first option increases the size of the backup file. The second is not available for my students.
Is there a third way? Videos stored outside Moodle  but embedded into an activity? Does that require video streaming?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Enbedding video into courses

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Why is the second not available to students?

A third way might be to use a non-YouTube system, if YouTube is an issue. For example, I am currently using Vimeo. I can also use my own server, but I decided against it for the moment. But if you had your own server, you might be able to show students how to FTP to it and deposit videos.

Yes, you are correct about #1. This is why I don't use that technique. In addition to increasing backup size, it might also slow down your Moodle.

My guess is that you should get more ideas from others here on Moodle.org.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Steerpike -
Depending on location of the student, many sites including YouTube and Vimeo are inaccessible. Both by going there directly or through an embedded link.
I thought I could create a directory under /var/www/html and link to this url directly but it failed. .Maybe just an error in my link?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you tried 'relative links' as opposed to Moodle's URL tool, relative might fail.  With Moodle, full url ... not relative href="./videos/nameof.mp4".

If you have 3.8.x now, there is the built in HVP tool which can wrap an .mp4 video from url or from your own uploaded mp4.   That might obsecure the video resource enough to pass muster by GW of China ... or allow since it's coming from your server. 

Can you do SCORM's from your site?   That would require using 3rd party software to build the SCORM then upload it to Moodle.

Yes, SCORM's and/or uploaded MP4's will increase space usage, make course backups and site backups larger ... kinda a trade off ... isn't it?

Support a corp that provides training in HVAC in Chinese and for customers in China.  100% SCORM.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Rick Jerz -
Yep, I thought so. The "China" problem.

Yes, consider what Ken has said.

In my case, my moodle is at domain.com/moodle, and my videos would be at domain.com/videos. This is how I would separate my videos from my Moodle. Then backups of moodle would not be big.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

of course you can, this is how I embed videos into my moodle, my video files are (depending on my mood) sometimes in a seperate folder with other moodle folders (like video assets) and sometimes I have central video repository outside of my moodle folders, but you need a third party player to run that videos, which in my case I am using Easy Video Player (I have customized it to refer to central setting file).

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -
Thanks for sharing your use of Easy Video Player, Usman. These video issues always re-occur.

(To update you, yes, I did experiment with serving my videos from my VPS, and it did work. But I wasn't totally comfortable, and certainly not as technically capable as you (I would have to learn more), so I decided to use Vimeo. It's not that expensive, and it does separate my video (playing) from my VPS and Moodle. I did think about buying a VPS just for my videos, but the cost of this was about what I would pay with Vimeo. Yep, pros and cons, feature differences, etc. However, this semester has gone well using Vimeo. Students have not complained. I'll provide you an example below.)

Here is my video presentation from GlobalMoot via Vimeo system . " "
Here is my video presentation from GlobalMoot via 'cleaner player". "How to Install a “Sandbox” Moodle on Your Windows PC/Mac"
There is also an embed code method, and a few more.  I prefer the second way for course videos, which Vimeo calls there "review player.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -
Rick, how about me making a video of using it? the way I am using on my sites.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -

Well, Usman, maybe I can.

If I understand you, you would be interested in a video showing how I incorporate Vimeo into my Moodle.  Or are you more interested in how I get my videos into Vimeo?  Or both? Or something else?

Your suggestion is good, I just want to make sure that I address your interests.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -

Sorry Rick, I meant I will make the tutorial about setting up Easy Video Player, you can use easy video player to fetch YouTube and Vimeo videos as well, it will give you additional controls over vimeo player.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -

Great, Usman.  (Less work for me.)  Yes, I would like to see how you install and use the Easy Video Player.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Stefan Schoch -
Hey Usman,
I took a brief look at the Easy Video website, looks promising,
But how do you use the player within Moodle? I didn't find a plugin or something.
Is there a way how to use Easy Player for the book or lesson activitiy?
In reply to Stefan Schoch

by Usman Asar -

Stefan, I was about to reply on your other post, thought to read this first and saw your post here too, there isnt any plug-in in moodle, but the player has to be bought separately.

This player as well will solve your issues of playback speed, I have been in contact with developer yesterday for a final fine tuning to the player, he asked for 4-5 weeks but as of today he already updated his work (inclusion of MPEG-DASH streaming), there isn't anything left in the player to be included after that (may be DRM support) - the method of using it within moodle is bit tricky, but that works like a charm, give me 3-4 days before getting final adjustments from developer for me to create a video out of it.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Stefan Schoch -
Sounds great!
If it would be easy to add a video via the ATTO editor I would be willing to pay the license.
Do you think there will be a plugin or something that will do the job?
In reply to Stefan Schoch

by Usman Asar -
Stefan I am afraid not, its fully featured player, so require bit of process to integrate. The plug-ins so far only gives basic controls of play, pause, volume and full screen.

by Mohammad Nabil -
i use h5p interactive video
and simple put the video url in it ( exactly as rick says)
another option if space is an issue
is to host video ( must bess than 100 MB) on google drive , and change the shared link ,
i made a very simple code in Vb.net that do that :
Public Class Form1
Dim org_txt As String
Dim org_prfx As String = "https://drive.google.com/open?id="
Dim rslt_prfx As String = "https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id="
Dim sfx As String = "&type=.mp4"
Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Timer1.Interval = 200
Timer1.Start()
End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
org_txt = Clipboard.GetText()
' TextBox2.Text = org_txt
If org_txt.Contains(org_prfx) Then
Clipboard.SetText(org_txt.Replace(org_prfx, rslt_prfx) + sfx)
End If
End Sub
End Class

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
CloudPoodll for Atto can do this. You can play with it here ...
https://demo.poodll.com/mod/forum/post.php?forum=22

It is not free, sorry. But it will do exactly what you want.
In reply to Justin Hunt

by James Steerpike -
Just me being careless. Adding the files to a visible directory in the www root works if you get the URL right.  So the files are external to Moodle but on my server. The simplest solution is probably the best.
Feeling the pressure of preparing multiple 80 minute lessons which my bosses want to deliver "live". To more than 50 students at a time using cellphones in rural China.