Automatic backup does not really back up all courses

Automatic backup does not really back up all courses

by Mitchell Gary -
Number of replies: 2

I have set my 1.53+ installation to perform an automatic backup of all courses. The backup runs faithfully as requested, and I get an e-mail confirming that all of my courses have been backed up. This is only a beginning demo-site -- not a lot of data involved. The resulting zip file is 11KB. It does not really contain all of the course data, and therefore I cannot restore my courses.

When I backup a single course, the resulting zip file is 42KB, and this single course backup really does contain everything. I can restore with no problem.

I conclude that I am unable to use the automatic backup feature to backup all my courses. It really only backs up the "site" -- which is the front page stuff.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Mitchell

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitchell Gary

Re: Automatic backup does not really back up all courses

by Mitchell Gary -
Perhaps someone could have tactfully told me that I didn't know what I was talking about.

I was looking at the wrong backupdata directory. In fact, the automatic backup feature does backup all courses -- and places the backup file in the backupdata directory of each course.

Sorry about that.

Mitchell
In reply to Mitchell Gary

Re: Automatic backup does not really back up all courses

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for explaining your initial thinking regarding automatic backup. It is very helpful to know of possible areas of confusion in order that the Moodle documentation may be improved. I hope you will consider contributing to the documentation, as your perspective would be greatly valued. smile