Number of users and hosting

Number of users and hosting

by Javier Tejera -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone,

My institution is currently using Moodle for light blended learning courses with up to 20 users per course - most of the content is text, docs, pdfs, quizes, and H5P activities. At the moment it's quite unlikely that all of them access at the same time. 

We will go live with a pay-per-course model with heavy content (mostly videos) embedded in SCORM packages. I was wondering how I can know how many users can access at the same time without the server going down. I am afraid the site might break (or the SCORMs will be extremely slow) at the very moment we launch the new service, since it's likely it will gather a lot of attention in the first days.

Many thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Javier Tejera

Re: Number of users and hosting

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

javier, there is no one way to tell if the server can hold or not, you haven't mentioned where have you hosted the site? Shared, VPS, Dedicated? and what resources you have allocated and with what software running (O/S, WebServer, Database and any cache plug-ins).

in your scenario, where you are unsure about the load, I would have gone with a cloud hosting (Linode, DigitalOcean, AWS) to start with, as there you can lift your resources instantly seeing the load on server is increasing.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Javier Tejera -
You are absolutely right. We are using a shared hosting, the "StartUp" account of Siteground: https://www.siteground.co.uk/web-hosting.htm

A cloud hosting sounds good, but at the moment we don't have IT support and I am afraid it will be a bit technical for me to transfer everything to e.g. AWS. What to you think?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A startup wouldn't do much, in fact I have started recommending those who start from shared host, not to consider the very basic accounts for moodle, unless they are only using to test moodle or use it as a staging server, I can understand the complexity of setting up a cloud node, where everything starts from ground zero, but then there are Pro/Business shared accounts offered by shared hosting that would at least let you test run your website with some users (now that depends how much resources are allocated) as for some hosting providers Pro/Business means lesser accounts per server while keeping hardware resources as equal as any other shared accounts, whilst to some, on top of lesser accounts, they do allocate some more resources (like more CPU cores and more RAM), I manage to find a shared hosting provider that gives enough to start with (8 CPU cores, 16GB RAM), and you can allocate the resource pool to make isolated accounts, or allocate all to one account, on top you can buy more (upto 1024 cores and 2048GB RAM) as you grow, this gives you freedom of expansion and at the same time works just like any other shared host (support, CPanel etc), if you want I can provide you links.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a generalisation as SCORM is just a wrapper for all kinds of stuff. However, SCORM mostly runs within the client's browser so it's not the worst choice if you are stuck with a small server.