Best strategy for competency/learning plan setup

Best strategy for competency/learning plan setup

by Tennille Nicolette -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

Very new to Moodle, but not new to LMS. When we get a new employee, I want to assign them something like a learning plan so they are batch enrolled in all the courses in the learning plan. First of all, is this how learning plans work?

Creating learning plans requires creating competencies first, but I not sure how to organize the competencies. 

Here is the idea, tell me how I should configure this in Moodle. I really appreciate your help!

For example, I have dinner chefs and bakers. Both jobs require Food Safety training. Only Chefs need Chicken Training. Only bakers need Frosting Training.  Chefs require Basic Oven training. Bakers require Advanced Oven training. 

Competency Framework: Oven
Competencies: Basic Oven, Advanced Oven

Competency Framework: Food Safety
Competencies: Clean surfaces, Safe Temperature

Competency Framework: Chicken
Competencies: Deboning, Marinating

Competency Framework: Frosting
Competencies: Mixing, Spreading

Learning Plan: Chef
Competencies: all in frameworks Food Safety, Chicken, Advanced Oven
Chef is assigned the Chef Learning plan, which enrolls her in all courses marked with the competencies Food Safety, Chicken, and Basic Oven.

Learning Plan: Baker
Competencies: all in frameworks Food Safety, Frosting, Advanced Oven
Baker is assigned the Baker learning plan, which enrolls her in all courses marked with competencies Food Safety, Frosting, and Advanced Oven.

Am I on the right track?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tennille Nicolette

Re: Best strategy for competency/learning plan setup

by Jemima Riley -

Hi Tennille,

Competency Based Training as you explained needs to be made more task related and specific. Competency :-Basic Oven is insufficient as it would not allow the proper assessment. 

A simple approach can be to divide the task into three i.e. the pre activities, the activity and the post activity. 

What are the skills required for the task that relates  to the oven? Identify these in order.

An oven is useful for baking or broiling:-

Possible Pre-task:-

Appropriate preparation of the oven:-

1. check the oven shelves (this determines quality)

2. presetting of the temperature gauge.

3. appropriate setting of the temperature gauge.

(The difference between 2 and 3 is that it can be set but it was too high or too low.)

Task:-

4. Proper placing of the chicken in the oven (for proper circulation of heat)

5. Sufficient baking time

6. Checking of product during baking. 

Post task:-

7 Turning oven off

8. Placing product in an appropriate place

Check online, help can be found there. 

"Type competencies training  for bakers".

I hope that you would be able to set up your plan.

Best of luck

Jemima

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Competency Frameworks do not have to mirror your Learning Plans Template (Framework).
Competencies from any framework can be added to a Learning Plan Template.
You could have one large framework or hundreds.
Note: once you setup a framework you cannot move the competency to another framework. Consider how your administrators will use these objects before you setup your framework(s).
If you have one large framework, you can relocate a competency within the single framework.
IMHO - I would create Food Safety as the top, Parent.
I would create under Food, Chicken, Frosting, Chef, Baker.
Under Chicken - deboning, Marinating.

Before you can build your competencies frameworks, you have to consider scales. Scales cannot be changes once a student (employee) has been awarded the competency.

We are using the Monitoring of Learning Plans plugin, which is more visual than the core design.

Consider how you will use the competencies and learning plans. For Food Safety each employee will probably have to requalify annually or bi-annually. The competency objects have no end date, they never expire. Learning plans assigned to employees have no end-dates, they never expire. Deleting them removes the training history that you will need to retain for FDA. 
Kind Regards
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Tennille Nicolette -
Thank you for the informative answer. I wish we could use plugins, but we are using Moodle Cloud so we don't appear to have permissions to install them.

I apologize that my example diluted the original question, which was: Is there a way to assign a student to [Moodle feature] which batch enrolls them in multiple relevant preselected courses?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
You might try cohorts, I use them. However, I manual build them vs the upload functionality as the instructions to do them is not completely intuitive.
You may want to search the Enrollments forum, there have been some recent posting about cohort uploads.
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Tennille Nicolette -

Cohorts seem great for enrolling many people to one course; what if you want to enroll one person into many courses?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Most of my students are members of many cohorts. Some cohorts are course based some cohorts are based on the student's position in the organization.
Works well, no issues - I just need to work with the upload functionality in a test course, to get the process down and get comfortable with it.