Tutoring system / What plugin to use?

Tutoring system / What plugin to use?

by Alicia Urrea (SocialCo) -
Number of replies: 2

Good day!

I'm trying to configure a moodle for a program in which:

1. I have around 30 teachers and 45 students, simultaneously. I can easly have 75 teachers and 100 students per year.

2. Students go through a common itinerary and once they have done it, they are assigned to a teacher, who will tutorize them. With the tutor they do one on one meetings, get assiments, and turn on a final project. At the stage where students are asigned to teachers for this final part of the course, teachers can only see information about their own students, and students can only see their own information.

So, how would you do this configuration on a Moodle 3.x?

I've thought about doing a course for each teacher, or doing a group for each teacher, but I think it may be a nightmare to maintain.

So my question is: Is there a plugin that I can use? Am I missing something? Any idea would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alicia Urrea (SocialCo)

Re: Tutoring system / What plugin to use?

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Groups would be your best bet.
You create a group for each teacher. You add the teacher to the group and then the students they tutor. You adjust the teacher (or better, a copy/renamed version of non-editing teacher) role to specifically only see their groups. It works beautifully. Does the student choose their tutor or is it a random assignment? Random assignment is super easy. You just auto create groups, specify the number of students in each group and then assign a teacher to each one. Teachers would not be automatically assigned.
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Tutoring system / What plugin to use?

by Alicia Urrea (SocialCo) -

Hi Melanie! Thanks! I'm going to try it.

In this case, tutors are chosen for students based on the student's specific skillset, but the idea of random assignment is a great asset for other projects, thank you!

Have a good day!