How should Advanced search results be sorted? Reverse chronological, or somehow sorted by discussion?

How should Advanced search results be sorted? Reverse chronological, or somehow sorted by discussion?

by Ray Hinton -
Number of replies: 0

I am doing some searching in my forums, wanting to read all the posts in a particular forum by one user. So, I go to advanced search, choose a forum to search with the dropdown, and then write a person's name in the author field.

I have observed two kinds of behavior from the results, either:

1. The results are returned purely in reverse chronological order, or
  2. The results are sorted by discussion, and then in reverse chronological order in those groupings of posts
I could see the logic for either behavior, I suppose. However, it is most perplexing to see BOTH occur. Of course, I thought that perhaps I was just being fooled into thinking that #1 was happening, when really I was just looking at a user that never posted in the same forum twice, or the discussion names were misleading me. However, to the extent that I can understand, I verified that the results for the #1 scenario indeed were for a person who had jumped around in the same discussions (looking at the ID numbers for user, forum, discussion, etc.).

For what it's worth, I tried reading the PHP that conjures the search results, and I think the SQL query ends in ORDER BY p.modified DESC - which makes me think it should #1.

Anyway - does anyone have an idea of what the behavior SHOULD be? I feel like I am getting pretty confused over here! Thanks. smile
Average of ratings: -