Prevent teachers from unregistering themselves from courses they teach

Prevent teachers from unregistering themselves from courses they teach

by Yannick Vrolant -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

We've been encountering the same weird issue a couple of times as some teachers go to the course participants list, click the "select all users" button and then choose the "delete all user registrations" option in the list. They usually do this in order to unenrol students from the past year before they can register new students for the current year, (or so they think, at least). However, in doing so, they get expelled from their own courses and are then unable to access and edit them until we re-register them manually as teachers in their own course(s).

I have tried setting the "enrol/manual:unenrolself" capacity to "forbidden" for teacher roles, however, this won't work and after testing, it turns out teacher roles are still able to unenrol themselves from their own courses ! Any idea on what is going wrong here and how we may solve this issue ?

Thanks for helping,

Best,

Yannick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yannick Vrolant

Re: Prevent teachers from unregistering themselves from courses they teach

by Ray Hinton -
Oof, that sound like the digital equivalent of a teacher locking themselves out of their classroom!

That capability sounds promising, but the documentation suggests that it is not really about what they can do on the Participants page. Rather, it adds a completely separate option to their Administration block (or the nav drawer, I guess). Reviewing other capabilities with "enrol" in them, I do not think there is a combination that would neatly do what you want.

The earlier part of the process makes me think, though: is there another way? Perhaps you are trying to save space or help teachers self-service, but when we need a new semester or year of a course, we make a fresh copy of it so that we do not lose the old data. That requires another person with the right role (Manager or Course creator) to backup and restore courses, but I think it matches the logic of things a little better.

What about the Reset course option? It is more explicit about affecting specific Roles.

You could also help them use the filter search on the Participants page, to only select Students.