Limitations of webconferencing

Limitations of webconferencing

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 5

Looking to start remote teaching of 50  or more students at a time. I only have access to a laptop, and a wireless connection of around 600 kbps. I have Moodle set up on a VPS but I would need to set up a BBB server. Technically all possible. But what are my chances of having a workable system at that sort of scale? Audio only would be fine.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Limitations of webconferencing

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Is the 600Kbps between you and the server or between the server and the world?. I find the reliability of the network connection is of great importance as well as the speed.
In reply to Marcus Green

by James Steerpike -
Me and the world. I am in Manila, the server in Singapore and the students in China. I may be able to get a faster mobile connection but no access to a wired connection.

by James Steerpike -
Am I right in assuming BBB uses HTML 5 and students can use the browser on movie phones to join and chat with a session? Only the moderator needs to use a computer?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You can test BBB in MoodleCloud. Even the free plan comes with a 10 user BBB session.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by James Steerpike -
That occurred to me too. However even if I got 10 users up and running I am still far short of my class sizes.
Zoom appears to have a very generous free account and signing up to a level where I can get the REST API and using the Zoom plug-in looks attractive. It may be too good to be true.
I can't see much comment here on Zoom. I will give it a try