Primary learning Content repositories

Primary learning Content repositories

by Mark Burnet -
Number of replies: 0

After listening to another presentation on the long tail, this time by Jason Cole at the Savannah Moodle Moot on Friday, it occurred to me that we are looking at the wrong end of the animal. I paraphrase Jasons comment that education content is dead, long live content. Exclaiming that content should be more open. These comments were well received and make good sense. And VLEs like Moodle fit well into a variety of different learning environments. However, content repositories seem to focus on systems where content is complex and variegated, mainly in higher education. At this level the content is presented in relatively simple manner to the sophisticated learner. While primary and secondary educational content has simpler and less variegated content, its presentation must be more complex and accommodate the unsophisticated learner with more complex needs in learning styles. This is especially true for subgroups with special learning requirements. And here is the big head for content repositories. Only 1% of the world acquires a 4 year or higher degree. Where is the content repository system that focuses on basic content materials in education for the mass of humanity? Systematic comparisons of product and systems in higher education do not entirely relate when looking at primary education levels. I might be looking in the wrong places, but research in this area seems to me to be somewhat lacking in the open education community. Can anyone help point me to data that looks at the issue of content management systems for primary learners?  Oh, and thanks go to Jason for get my mind spinning on this. smile

Average of ratings: -