250 million students suddenly require teaching online

250 million students suddenly require teaching online

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 32

As a result of the COVID-19 virus all's chools in the world's most  populous country will be unable to cram  50 or mote students into a classroom for some weeks. And although the first it may not be the last.

My school has already asked me to teach online. Will the Moodle community welcome and help this expansion?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: 250 million students suddenly require teaching online

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Acknowledging the tragic of the situation the crisis has shown an opportunity for the Internet to do some damage control - provided that the affected were ready! I have first hand experience of a region, where they talk of how to do this deep inside the crisis. When the crisis is over, there is no need of course!

You wrote earlier that your learners are in mainland China, you reach them through the Bamboo Curtain(?) Any changes in the landscape since the Corona crisis?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by James Steerpike -

I am not really sure what is happening as my winter holidays allowed me to leave China in the last days of December. I am due to start back in the first days of March. The situation is not clear but gathering thousands of students into shared dormitories, canteens and classrooms is now likely to be delayed.

Classes for younger students have already been cancelled and millions of teachers - and I am not exaggerating these numbers - have been asked to use online methods.  Most are trying using social media.

My colleagues have been asked if they could teach online.  With over 300 students to teach, without a LMS the task seems impossible.  I recklessly said yes and I am now thinking through the problems. The first is I left my computer behind and haven't touched a keyboard in six weeks. A secondhand Thinkpad is on order.

I think it is too late for teachers suddenly asked to teach online to do anything more than send out some notes and videos. Other countries have more time to prepare. I don't think I am being alarmist  in saying some schools around the world may have to cancel face to face classes.

Are schools preparing for that possibility?

by Thorsten Bartel -
Picture of Core developers
Maybe reach out to Moodle partners worldwide and ask if they'd be willing to set up instances as a form of international emergency aid.
Simultaneously reach out to hosting companies to evaluate their readiness to host these instances...

Just some thoughts. Moodle partners would be the fastest way to quickly build a (scalable) Moodle working space. Some of them might want to help either out of compassion or at least for the reputation and advertising potential coming along with such a move.
In reply to Thorsten Bartel

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
One idea might be to raise money and send it us here https://moodle.org/donations so that we can work on some solution with MoodleCloud ...
Average of ratings: Very cool (4)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

The solution is there: A MoodleCloud for China! One caveat though: It has to be (physically or network-wise) on their territory. James may tell you his encounters with the Bamboo Curtain. (In fact, much is documented here in the forums.)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I appreciate the heart in this very much. 

However, what makes you think the Chinese government and education system is not onto this situation?

by James Steerpike -

Latest communication I have is that I may have to teach for two months online.  I am sitting in a Airbnb in Manila with only a cellphone. Many Chinese teachers are in a similar position,  having gone  home for the Chinese New Year and finding themselves in villages with slow internet and no access to a computer

I can cope. My Moodle is running, my students have a login and I have spent time in class last semester showing them how it works.

I have offered to help my Western colleagues by adding them as teachers on my site.   That offer holds for any teacher caught by this situation. 

But the problem is Moodle is complicated. I doubt if any of my colleagues can create a course and support their students in logging in and using forums and quizzes.

This is why Moodle Partners can't really help.  It is the grassroots, the teachers that drive Moodle. And those teachers don't have the skills to run Moodle. Not for any fault of their own but because they have never even heard of Moodle. My first exposure to Moodle was on a CELTA course as a student and seeing how my fellow aspiring teachers struggled opened my eyes. Teaching with Moodle doesn't come naturally.

This isn't a Chinese problem.  It may be coming to your school in a matter of months.

by Martin Dougiamas -
A big Moodle site with simple course enrolment, perhaps?

by James Steerpike -
I was trying to explain to my boss earlier tonight why Moodle can't do live broadcasting and why live broadcasting is not such a great idea..Like a long unprepared lecture would have every student wandering away from.the phone.
This could be a turning point in online learning. Perhaps the first step will be the failure of lecturing on line.

Well, once in water, it is usually too late to start building boats!
;-P

by James Steerpike -

I think some people need to get hsmmer and nails out now

This time seriously:
> why Moodle can't do live broadcasting
Moodle core, yes, but there are plenty of alternatives. For example BigBlueButton on MoodleCloud.

> why live broadcasting is not such a great idea
Why?

> Like a long unprepared lecture would have every student wandering away from.the phone.
I can't follow. The "Moodle MOOC" https://learn.moodle.org finished yesterday had two live sessions. The participants were very keen. The recordings a still there in the course.

> This could be a turning point in online learning. Perhaps the first step will be the failure of lecturing on line.
You are aiming at something above (or beyond) Moodle. Could you elaborate more on that?

by James Steerpike -

You are correct, my bad.

I am now looking at Bigbluebutton for web conferencing.  I would have around 50 students at once and I think with the ability to mute and unmute their microphones it would work.

My understanding is I would have to set up a BBB server and it would have to be around 4 Gb of ram and 4 CPUs. I would probably have to beef up my own Moodle server as the performance under load would be critical.

Maybe I will start a new thread.  There is some outlay and I really want to get this right. There will be some satisfaction in crafting a better solution than my school can come up with.

Live streaming / web conferencing as a teaching tool

Yes, the topic of BBB server belongs to the forum Web conferencing plugins. The other topic, "Why live streaming / web conferencing is a bad idea", should go to the forum Teaching with Moodle. I am still waiting for answers to those questions(?)

Re: Live streaming / web conferencing as a teaching tool

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'Why live streaming / web conferencing is a bad idea'
It is not inherently and always a bad idea, it is more that it is frequently not essential and is always demanding in terms of resources.
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

`I know what "it" means well enough, when I find a thing,' said the Duck: `it's generally a frog or a worm. The question is, what did the archbishop find?'

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-III.html

by James Steerpike -

The examples I saw on social media were of teachers lecturing to students over a cell phone.Being told to teach online with little notice and no training gave them little choice.

My boss wanted me to use a cellphone to broadcast. This could be 6 hours a day three days a week for two months. At least I think he wanted this as the situation is still very confused.

There are good ways and bad ways to live broadcast.  I was vaguely aware  of BBB but I had dismissed it as I used Moodle as a supplement to face to face. Looking at it now I see it is very suitable as it allows monitoring of attendees and interaction and class discussion.

I think BBB will be superior to asychronous forum discussions. I have already opened a thread to gauge if I am going the right way. Often a software approach looks promising until you find what you can't do. My biggest problem may be bandwidth.

Hi

Saw the other thread Limitations of webconferencing in the Web conferencing plugins forum. We can call this sub-thread Live streaming / web conferencing as a teaching tool closed.

The two sub-threads of the original topic, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=397124#p1601571 and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=397124#p1601551, are still interesting, I find.

Online teaching

by James Steerpike -

I still do find it interesting.  I am due to start teaching on March 2 like  millions of others but am being told to teach online.  That is not put up a bit of homework for your class. That iis classroom teachers being told to teach solely online for a month or more.

How they manage it is still a work in progress. It could be left up to teachers or be organised from above.  It could use an existing LMS or a new one could be created. At any rate it is probably the biggest single jump in numbers of online students and teachers.

I tried webconferencing with a couple of students using the test server. One success and one student whose page failed to load after 2 to 3 minutes.  Given the work involved in creating a BBB server it is on the back burner. Recorded teacher and student video is the most important to get going and tested given the time I have.

Re: Online teaching

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'At any rate it is probably the biggest single jump in numbers of online students and teachers.'
I think you might be right.

How do you feel about using Skype for web conferencing?
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by James Steerpike -
I have used Skype for about 15  years and it looks a bit dated. Everyone in China uses the superapp Wechat. Everything from instant audio and video messaging to transferring money and paying bills.
Wechat would be fine for synchronous teaching of a handful of pupils. Another app called classin  also looks useful. Problem is these solutions are probably better for synchronous online teaching of a handful of students but they don't scale.
What would be interesting would be if Wechat is integrated into Moodle.  IMHO one of the drawbacks of Moodle is compulsory email addresses.  In many countries the majority of the population have jumped into the smartphone age without ever using a computer and instant messaging is what they use. The same applies to Western youngsters. Many rarely or never check emails.
Rumour has it Tencent who are behind Wechat are involved in turning out online solution. 
Imagine for instance linking directly from Moodle to a Wechat video chat with any student or small group. Or even just using Wechat for instant messaging rather than  emails.
Interesting times.

by Marcus Green -
'In many countries the majority of the population have jumped into the smartphone age'
Are there countries where the majority of the population do not have or check email?
In reply to Marcus Green

by James Steerpike -
I was walking around Manila malls looking at cyberzones. Showing my age, I was after a laptop. Shop after shop sold only cell phones and only one sold computer gear. I see the same in China. I used to visit Computer City,  half a dozen floors crammed with computers and accessories. Now whole floors are empty and others sell only phones.
Smartphones are much cheaper than computers, especially the hand me downs and second hand phones and I think in many countries families have bypassed the home computer stage completely. I just can't see the youngsters emailing their friends when they have so many alternative communication apps.

by Marcus Green -

I'll take that as a no.

In reply to Marcus Green

by James Steerpike -
My guess. For the majority of the population Moodle serves  - predominately children to young adults - email accounts are checked less than once a week.  They would never send an email to someone of their own age.
Many will have forgotten their passwords and haven't bothered to fix it.
Email to the young is like fax machines for the baby boomers. An outdated technology

OIC.

Yes, some education won't harm them, for sure!

I know, there are gloomy characters, who say, your students are what you think you they are - even worse, that your students reflect you. No, don't listen to them!
;-X

by James Steerpike -

Sure. But back to the original point, the numbers of students suddenly requiring online teaching may have to be revised.  The epidemic is spreading.

South Korea, Japan, Iran, Milan so far. I think every school district needs to start thinking about what they will do if schools are closed for weeks or even months. Do students get a holiday? Is it up to individual tachers to do what they can?

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)

by James Steerpike -

by Philip Goetz -
and on Feb 29 2020 I knew, as a US school teacher, that Corona would affect me. That was two days after this post.
In reply to Philip Goetz

The very same day your President called it the "Democrats' 'new hoax'". Couple of posts above James Steerpike knew it on the 24th!

by Ellen Forster -

In my opinion, it is just wonderful that people began to want studeing online, because there is so much opportunities online. I really hope that this trend will continue

by John Krasky -

This is so true! I personally know a lot of people who started to study online and teachers who were forced to teach online. For some people it's the best way and for some not. I myself was supposed to pass one course this summer but due to virus restrictions I can not travel to that country now so I will be doing it online from my Alicante property