Feedback wanted about our Moodle Admin Basics MOOC

Feedback wanted about our Moodle Admin Basics MOOC

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 120
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Our self-paced MOOC for anyone who wants to learn the very basics of Moodle administration - Moodle Admin Basics - is now open!

We would love to hear what you think of the course, if anything is unclear, or you have any ideas for improvements. Please let us know by replying to this discussion!

Average of ratings: Useful (10)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Admin Basics MOOC

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I love that I can add CC subtitles for my language pack to these very nice videos smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Germán Valero

by Md Mohiyul Islam -
All's going well until now. I've created category type 'General' deleting 'Miscellaneous' and also 'Science' category under 'General'. I've also uploaded category csv file.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Khine Lay -

Hello, 

For this page, https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=124209, the instruction told me to upload csv file. If you can link some possible csv files to test, it is better.

Anyhow, thank you very much for the course.

In reply to Khine Lay

by Vijay Deshmukh -

See this.

shortname,fullname,category,summary,enrolment_1,enrolment_1_role,enrolment_1_enrolperiod,role_student

courserestored,Course restored,1,a summary,manual,student,1 month,
courserestored2,Course restored 2,1,a summary,,,,
courserestored3,Course restored 3,1,a summary,,,,padawan
courserestored4,Course restored 4,1,"a summary, with comma",manual,student,1 month,padawan
You can always go to your moodle site and see at the bottom "Moodle Docs for this page"
A detail explanation will be available.

In reply to Helen Foster

by IRA GOPINATH -

The course is very much clear on its idea

In reply to Helen Foster

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good Moodle Admin intro course. Any chance that this could be made available for download or through LTI? I would like to be able to track our user's completion of the course.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers
+1 for Michael's idea.
In reply to Kim Salinas

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Kim and Michael and thanks for trying out the course for us. As with the Learn Moodle Basics MOOC for educators, while the Admin MOOC course itself is not available for download, the videos and transcripts are all publicly available (and downloadable within the course) and we have started work on some new Admin Basics documentation you are also welcome to link to.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sukhmani Singh -
Hello Facilitators,
A big thank you for creating a course like this. smile
This is my first time in a 'Moodle as Admin' course and it's a fun & enriching experience to know beyond teaching activities in Moodle.
However, I have a suggestion...
In quiz activity, it would be better if a 'Link to correct answer' is also provided as it will save time in searching the correct answer.
For e.g., see the screenshot below:

In question no. 5...only feedback is provided. It would be helpful if a Link like..."See correct answer" is also provided.
How did you like my suggestion?
Thanks and Regards,
Dr. Sukhmani.
In reply to Sukhmani Singh

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Khine, good idea about providing a csv file. I've added it to our to-do list!

Dr. Sukhmani, when designing the course, Mary and I discussed providing links in the quiz question feedback to where you can find the answers, but we decided not to because participants have as much time as they need to search for answers, and we didn't want to make it too easy!

Congratulations to everyone who has completed the Moodle Admin Basics course and obtained a badge and certificate - 72 in just 4 days!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Sukhmani Singh -
Thanks Helen for replying. I also thought this could be one of the reason.
I also agree with Visvanath Ratnaweera as Teaching with Moodle and Managing Moodle go hand-in-hand.
Regards.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Khine Lay -

Thank you, Helen. Your course is really great. 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
It was a timely move. In the recent Moodle MOOC "Learn Moodle 3.8 Basics" we had quite a number of users who were using Moodle in their institutions. The answer to many of their questions was, "your Moodle administrator has set it that way", which included the MOOC itself. In this course, with a MoodleCloud account, they can go beyond those limits.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Stephanie Ferguson -
Great course and well laid out!! I really enjoyed the H5P activities that were embedded in the Book resources. I have never hosted a course on MoodleCloud (free version) before, so I'm wondering if we can use H5P activities on there now that they are considered part of core Moodle with the 3.8 version? Or are they still considered a plugin and since we can't install plugins on MoodleCloud, we're out of luck when it comes to using H5P activities?

I think there might be an error on one of the Make more of your site quiz questions...should it specifically refer to MoodleCloud School as including some additional plugins like Custom Certificate? The Free version of MoodleCloud doesn't include those, correct?
Also, I don't feel like #7 on this Suggested Tasks list was really covered at all in the course. Although, I would love to learn more about this kind of stuff as well.

Thanks so much! I really enjoyed it.  smile

In reply to Stephanie Ferguson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks for your feedback Stephanie! 
As the video in the  H5P documentation page shows, Moodle 3.8 supports embedding of already created H5P activities, so if you sign up to h5p.org or h5p.com and make some activities you can include them in your 3.8 Moodle site - MoodleCloud included.
I agree about the reference to MoodleCloud in the Make more of your site question- I will go and edit the H5P activity and add 'paid package' or something similar
I will also take a look at number 7 in the Suggested tasks and see where/if we mention it in the course. (I've an idea it is mentioned in a video - but I'll need to check!)
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stephanie Ferguson -
Thanks very much, Mary! I appreciate the clarification on the H5P. And yes, maybe I just missed it if it was mentioned briefly in a video. Thanks! smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jim Judges -

This is a great course which is very well presented. This is a good self-study package with a good mix of text, video and interactive content.

I like the use of the book tool with embedded H5P content. This seems to set the standard for well-presented and easy to use and create activities for providing learner interaction and for checking knowledge and understanding within the task. At the moment this H5P activity isn't tracked in the gradebook, so the tutor and the learner can't view a record of performance in these formative tasks. Hopefully it will be possible to track this activity in the future, once the H5P content creator is part of core Moodle. I think this may already be possible but only if the embed code from the activities created using the Moodle H5P plugin is used.

Thanks again to everyone involved in creating and sharing this really useful course.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mohamed Abdelbary -

It is very well prepared. Despite being an old Moodler, It organizes the scattered bits of information in my mind about Moodle administration. It is to the pint for every one who needs to be a Moodle admin. 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Nandigama Srinivas -
I am interested with Moodle Admin Basics. But I have the faced the some confusion on attempting the QuiZ
In reply to Helen Foster

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Very interesting course for beginners or to take your first steps (or to remember some basic manipulations...).
In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks everyone for your feedback so far on the Moodle Admin Basics MOOC. Keep it coming and we'll keep improving it!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Matt Barets -

Hi 

I'm midway through the course and I find the course very interesting and well built. 

I would have one suggestion. In the videos, there are links to the moodle documentation. It would be nice for the links to be added in the page/book chapter itself that we can click on it. 

The course group video, at 3:08, you says to add the users to the group, select them from the box on the left and move them to the box on the right. However on the screen (and I guess in real), it is the other way around.

Many thanks for creating that course. 

Love it. 

Regards 

Matt 

In reply to Matt Barets

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Matt - oops yes; you're quite right! I got my rights and my lefts mixed up. I do wish YouTube would let you edit directly without having to reupload the video, but I will get that fixed. At least the screencast itself shows it correctly.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jim Courter -

Correct answer omits - Site administration / Users... -  but perhaps this was intentional so as to not make the question too easy.

Attachment Auto-login.PNG
In reply to Jim Courter

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Jim, you're right, it should be Site administration / Users. We'll fix it soon.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Helen,
I spotted a typo in the quiz for the topic Add courses smile
q08
In reply to Helen Foster

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi,
this is not a feedback but a question: when I re-attempt a quiz, my previous answers are saved. I love this feature and I had understood this is not possible. Do you use a plugin? Which settings do you select?
Thanks!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It is quiz setting 'Each attempt builds on last', which is probably hidden behind 'Show more ...' by default. https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Quiz_settings#Question_behaviour
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Beatriz for your feedback. The word 'hid' could be a typo if the sentence was written in the present tense, but I think it's correct as it's past tense.

Tim is right, we used the standard quiz setting 'Each attempt builds on the last'.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Debby Kurti -

I thought the course was a very good, basic overview of the most important aspects of admin options. However, I have gone through these sections twice and completed the quiz questions, but can't get them to get checked off so that I can get the certificate. I am using Firefox on Mac OS 10.14.6. Any thoughts on how to get through the roadblock here?

My only suggestion is to indicate what type of resource is used to create the different elements in the course for those of us who are teachers or helping teachers. For example, it seemed like the sections were created using the book resource, but they had quiz questions embedded. Is that a lesson instead? It wasn't clear and it would be super helpful to know.

Thank you!

Debby

In reply to Debby Kurti

by Mary Cooch -
Debbie - look at the format of the completion boxes for those activities you still have not completed - I am sure you will quickly realise how to complete them. The Books include H5P questions - not graded or obligatory - but cool smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Debby Kurti -
LOL that was too easy. I had the boxes mixed up. Thought those were the ones that checked off automatically :P

I'll check out the H5P widgets. I like that idea as a self-check option. Yes, very cool!

Thanks for your patience :D
Debby
In reply to Helen Foster

Users / Add a new user / Manual accounts

by Jim Courter -

The video narrator says if everything goes right they'll receive and email....

What if I make a mistake, like entering the wrong email address?  When I edit the user and correct my mistake there's no longer an option to "Generate password and notify user", so the only path forward was to deleted the user and started over.  Is there a better method?

In reply to Jim Courter

Re: Users / Add a new user / Manual accounts

by Mary Cooch -
If you add the wrong email address, you can change the email address and manually email the user with a password of your making.
In reply to Helen Foster

Thank you...thank you...thank you!

by Jim Courter -
The timing for this MOOC couldn't have been better.  Two weeks after beginning the Admin course all our private schools suspended operations, and the follow week our college closed.  With my free Moodlecloud site (recently upgraded) and 50% of the MOOC under my belt I was able to restore backups of my courses to the cloud site and enroll all my student.  Moodle and BigBlueButton saved our bacon, literally.  (However broccoli  would be more accurate as we no longer eat pork.)  I cannot thank you enough.

P.S.  Our collage reopened March 23rd for online classes only, but since they had chosen not to purchase a subscription for BBB no option for web conferencing is available for teachers. 
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ralph Gottfreund -
Hello Helen,
First of all Thank you very much for this great and very instructive course..😊

I completed the first two topics of the course "Add courses" and "Add users".
Also to practice I have now created around 20 users and added them to several cohorts and course groups.

Now I have a question: 
Is it possible to list now to which cohorts and course groups a user is assigned to.?

Many Thanks again..
Ralph
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jim Courter -

Helen,

While viewing Site Administration features suggested in the course I discovered something odd in the Reports > Security overview.

The following item does not jibe with   User Policies > Default role for all users.

"Default role for all users   Critical   The default user role "Authenticated user" is incorrectly defined!

What am I missing?

Thanks,

JimC

In reply to Jim Courter

by Mary Cooch -
Hello JIm. Perhaps the documentation Security report on default user role gives you some help?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jim Courter -
"Reset" does not clear the "Critical" warning for "Default role for all users".  And there were no additions to "Config changes" after the reset either.

Q: Since I never made changes to settings for the Critical or Warning items shown in the Security overview above, does this mean is the default Moodlecloud free site preset this way?
In reply to Helen Foster

by IUDI INTERNATIONAL -

Hi I created an account on moodle.org but I cannot connect to Mount Orange School to be able to create lessons. Every time I tried to log in with my credentials it refused. I watched a lot of tutorials, it seems so easy but I don't understand why I can't connect to create lessons because I have an urgent project to manage.

I had to create another account on learn.moodle.org to try but without success. So I'm really disappointed, because it's been two weeks since I still don't understand the why.

I hope to have your help to finally use the platform for my projects. Thank you

please. Thanks

In reply to IUDI INTERNATIONAL

by Mary Cooch -
Hello there. If you want to create lessons for your students then you need your own Moodle site, because the sites you mention are for discussing (Moodle.org) or demonstrating (Mount Orange) or learning about (Learn Moodle) Moodle. They are not a place for you to run your own courses. I suggest you look at https://moodle.com/getstarted/ which explains how you get a Moodle site of your own.
If you want to access Learn Moodle then you do need a different account from this site, Moodle.org. The site Mount Orange, which is school.demo.moodle.net offers pre-made demonstration accounts, for example username = teacher and password = moodle. 
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Moses Sello Sehoole -

Challenging with confusing statements

In reply to Moses Sello Sehoole

by Helen Foster -

Hi Moses,

Which statements in particular did you find confusing? If you can let us know, we can try and improve them.

In reply to Moses Sello Sehoole

by Somesh Murarka -
How to post a feedback
In reply to Somesh Murarka

by Mary Cooch -
Somesh, if you want to know how to use Moodle's Feedback activity then please look at the documentation Feedback.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Anam Rashad -

Thank you so much for your valuable input and sharing the useful information.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Trina Bergloff Howes -

Thank you for the course. I found it helpful and very interesting. Thank you. 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dr.Vijay Deshmukh -

Excellent ! Though I am using Moodle from 8 years, the quiz was not so easy. Very close options. I like it. 🙂

In reply to Helen Foster

by Roldan Melicio Nasayao -

This has been very informative and I hope I would learn more in the construction of courses

In reply to Helen Foster

by Marta TD -

The tutorials are really  good and insightful. 

Thank you !

In reply to Helen Foster

Stuck already in the first section...

by Louise Olley -

I don't know how I could have missed learning these tasks in the lesson. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Firstly, I don't' know how to edit the course category so it has a default number of sections (I can only see this option within course settings), and secondly, I have no idea about creating a course in a CSV file. Have I started the suggested tasks too early in the course?

In reply to Louise Olley

Re: Stuck already in the first section...

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Louise.
For number 3 you need to read the page and watch the video in Set up and Manage courses. (I am not linking it here because you need to be enrolled in the course) It is setting the default numkber of sections in a course not a course category.
For number 5 you need to read the page and watch the video in Bulk create courses.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Louise Olley -
Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply, it's raised some more questions if you can bear with me.

Are the tasks in the order of the tuition? It seems I'm asked to edit a course before I'm asked to create one!

What is the purpose of creating the second course? or is this task list going to build on itself throughout (the second course being required later on)?

Thank you also for the explanation for no. 5. As soon as I saw the task list link appear under my lesson I assumed it was supposed to be for that lesson! Will the LMS tell me when I'm supposed to try each task?

A huge thanks if you or anyone out there can help.

Louise

In reply to Louise Olley

by Mary Cooch -
The idea is basically you go through the materials in the books first and then - if you want - you can try the tasks. The tasks are optional and merely to try certain things so you know how to do them -for example the point of uploading two courses is simply so you know how to do it. You won't be doing much editing inside courses as that is a teacher's job and another MOOC.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Louise Olley -

Hi Mary,

Which books are you referring to? I didn't know my online course required books. This could explain a lot!

Many thanks

Louise

In reply to Louise Olley

by Mary Cooch -

Sorry - Moodle terminology - the green icon of the activity with pages is called a Book in Moodle

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Louise Olley -

Hi Mary,

That's hugely helpful, thank you so much smile

Much appreciated

Louise

In reply to Helen Foster

by Louise Olley -

An idea for improvement.

Unless I've misunderstood the video, the correct answer below should be an activity or resource. 

In reply to Louise Olley

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Louise - technically, yes, you do select an activity or resource from the Activity chooser. However the text in the page (if you read above that question) actually says:

We thought it would be easier (as this is a "type your answer" question), to specify just one word to minimise spelling, order or other errors.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jaime Aguilar -

I am new to the platform but I am delighted with the many applications that can be used in this ... it is great

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ana Maria Rodriguez Hinestroza -
Hello,

I'm not sure if someone already commented, but the section Set up and manage courses > Bulk create courses, documentation links replace the current tab, rather than create a new tab which would be the preferred way to avoid going back and forth.

Thanks!
In reply to Ana Maria Rodriguez Hinestroza

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Ana for your feedback. I have fixed the documentation links so they now open in a new tab.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Achala Munigal -
Thanx...learned a lot in this Moodle Admin Basics course. Very useful.
In reply to Helen Foster

by MEEME JULIUS M'LINGERA -

This module was excellent in explaining the 'how to do things' in a very simple and clear style.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Agung Era -

Very useful for beginner like me

In reply to Helen Foster

by Marcelo G -
Hi, I am a spanish speaker native. I like the course, it is very helpful. It will be nice to translate this course to spanish, I could help.
Thanks!
In reply to Marcelo G

by Fernando Sánchez -
Hola, Yo también lo estoy haciendo y encantado colaboro en la traducción.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tish Kirkland -

Hi, I really enjoyed this course, thank you.

I was wondering if you could add a <hr> to the top (or bottom, but I think top looks better) in the text of each of these question options, to make the question a bit easier to read.

For example,

<p>This can be used as a basic framework of content for new courses</p>
<hr>

Many thanks,

Tish

Quiz question

In reply to Helen Foster

by Tish Kirkland -

Hello, me again - I found it unusual that there is an 'all of these' option for this type of question. I haven't encountered this on a multiple-response multiple-choice question before, as normally I'd say the participant can select them all from this list rather than the one that says 'all of these'. Is there a way it works with the grading of the question? That is, have you chosen this to make it a fairer option because it stops the participant from selecting all of the options with the intention to 'catch' all of the correct answers in their net, and therefore getting the question right? I'm curious to know! Or am I way off?

Many thanks,

Tish

Moodle quiz question

In reply to Tish Kirkland

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Tish and thanks for doing the course and giving feedback smile
  1. I will discuss with Helen your comment about adding the code into those matching questions.
  2. As for the "All of these" question, it's difficult for me to answer without giving away the correct response😉 but basically it is to do with the mathematics of awarding negative marks for incorrect answers.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tish Kirkland -
Hi Mary and thank you for your quick response! I am going to have a play with quiz first thing tomorrow. This has got me thinking. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tish Kirkland -

Hi again, last one, I promise!

I did some of the course on my mobile, and this quiz question displayed like this. I didn't notice this on any other quiz questions.

Thanks,

Tish

quiz question image 1 quiz question display quiz question display quiz question display
In reply to Tish Kirkland

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Tish - I have checked this and hopefully fixed it - I checked on the Learn Moodle app with my Android phone and I don't see the same as you now.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tish Kirkland -
Have just checked on my iPhone (using the app) and the display is now consistent with the other questions, i.e. not like in the images above. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by RANJITH KUMAR K R -

The course was absolutely superb, highly informative which helped me a lot in discovering many new features. 

Just had a problem with the last question of the quiz "make more of your site". The question behaved strangely. You can look at the last two screenshots, where the same answer fetched me two different marks.

In reply to RANJITH KUMAR K R

by Jim Courter -

Re: shots 3-4 - Other than the order of last two answers in column one I don't see any difference.  Can you provide more details as to how "the question behaved strangely". 

In reply to Jim Courter

by RANJITH KUMAR K R -

The marks obtained for the two same answers are different. Is the order in which the answers appear important? In the 3rd screenshot, the points obtained is 1.33 out of 2, whereas in the 4th one it is 1 out of 2. Also, I feel that the answers are correct, which is evident from the second screenshot.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Anish Krishnan -
Thanks for the course to learn more about Moodle. Would you please put some light on this question in the quiz: You have one course where you only want certain students to be enrolled. You can do this by asking them to enter a certain word or phrase. This a two-word term known as an...

would you please help me with the correct answer.
In reply to Anish Krishnan

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Anish. We don't reveal the answers to quiz questions because we want you to find them out for yourselves, and we don't want to spoil the fun for others ;) As for your question, the answer is in the course - you just need to find it! There is no trick.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Arundhathi Chetpet -

Very useful and needed too. I need to start with badges and clarity on competencies too.

In reply to Helen Foster

by SHAIRA Kooriparambil -

i would like to know more about competencies and learning plan

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jacki Lyle -
Hello. I am so enjoying this course; thank you!

In the Teacher Quick Guide documentation, under the 2 Course enrolment section the first screencast link for Enrolling Learners takes me to a video titled 3 7 Quiz on automatic grading. This was the case for docs 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10. 

The link was, however, correct for 3.5. 😀

In-page context for Enrolling Learners screencast link
In reply to Jacki Lyle

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks for the heads up! I have corrected the link in the 3.10 and 3.9 docs
In reply to Helen Foster

by Georgina Kramer -

I learnt a lot in this course. I am new to MOODLE Admininstration and I am grateful to the MOODLE developers to have this course available to us.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jonathan Blum -

While working through the videos I came to the Admin Basics / Add Users section. The quiz for that section seems to cover material that wasn't in the videos or the text documentation presented with them. It's possible I simply missed something, but from what I can tell the following were not covered and are on the quiz: groups, "classes of learners", restricting access to courses, troubleshooting signup issues, "OAuth 2", and "cohort sync". This was just from when I took it, and I understand there can be other questions.

In reply to Jonathan Blum

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Jonathan. Please check the following:

• Groups which are classes of learners in courses and Cohorts which are classes of learners throughout the site. (I think in the questions you are referring to, the key points are "site" and "course".
  • Restricting access to courses - I am not sure which question this relates to?
  •  Sign up issues - I think you are referring to a question about users not receiving an email? This is covered in the page Enable sign up.
  • OAuth2 - I agree this is not dealt with in depth; just shown in the video on the page Explore user management. I've made a note to improve this; thankyou.
  • Cohort sync is dealt with in the video on the page Cohorts as in my first bullet point.

In reply to Helen Foster

Tárgy: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Admin Basics MOOC

by Eniko Bus -
I find this course a little superficial. As a future Moodle-admin, I'd find it more convenient if the course provides step-by-step help for setting up the system. For example, it teaches us how to authenticate a student, but says no words on the required email server settings that should be done PRIOR to the first authentication. It would be nice if you could at least mention these requirements even if you just refer to the documentation. As an admin, I have to make sure that everything is set up for our trainers to use it live.
In reply to Eniko Bus

Re: Tárgy: Feedback wanted about our Moodle Admin Basics MOOC

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Eniko and thanks for your feedback. Yes, the course could indeed be described as 'superficial' in that it is called Admin Basics and is primarily aimed at non-technial admins without server access, such as those using MoodleCloud. We didn't want to go step by step into more detailed settings, particularly relating to individual server settings as these are better covered either by Moodle Partner training or by our documentation (for example Mail configuration or by asking in our Installing and upgrading help forum
In reply to Helen Foster

by 1958 Chevrolet Impala -
Overall, I found the tutorial to be helpful. Although, I would have liked more content about moving books and other activities/resources from one course to another. Not as simple as turning on editing and just using move tool as I supposed! (Bad assumption on my part I guess...) I was able to find information through other forums by doing my own digging, but was experiencing a number of errors when using import and/or restore tools. I was able to find a work around in the end by using the Generate IMS CP feature. I found the info here for anyone interested: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=208324
In reply to Helen Foster

by santap coordinator -
I am not finished it yet but wanted to send feedback on specific things as i notice it so i dont forget. I really like the regular quick checks after each page, they are super useful to help me confirm that i am following and have retained the important bits. I think its especially useful when the questions ask how or why/ when to use a certain function not just the name of a function. eg: knowing that authenticating a user = adding a user is less useful than knowing how to do it.
Also sometimes the answers to the quick check questions are not contained in the content for that page. eg. explore data privacy asks about what a user can access from their profile page. While two of the five correct responses are discussed in the content of that page, the other three are not (unless i missed it?)
anyways, thanks i am finding it very helpful overall.
In reply to santap coordinator

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Santap coordinator and thanks for your feedback - more is welcome smile I slightly changed the wording in the section you referred to in accordance with your comments, although of course even if the answers are not contained in the content, ideally we would want people to go and actually check their profile page (as you can on the site learn.moodle.org) to find out the solutions.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Coe -
Good course so far, and the quick checks (formative questions) are nice.
But I think there might be a problem here:
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=124215
4. Create a CSV file to create and upload 3 users as students to the Chemistry and Physics courses.
Is this authenticating and enrolling? Are these three new users? Since bulk upload is in the section on authenticating, I'm thinking it's authenticating. But then are you supposed to make a bunch of email accounts?  Because they're going to get an email right? to make a password. Which brings up the next issue:
5. Log in as one of the students and check you see the Chemistry and Physics courses on your dashboard and you can access them but not do anything.
How are you supposed to have their password so you can log in as them?
I then made my first 2 lines like this, but it didn't work when I tried to login as username: johnquest and pswd: larry.
username,password,firstname,lastname,email,course1,role1
johnquest,larry,John,Quest,johnquest@invalid.com,FSP,student

In reply to Alan Coe

by Alan Coe -
~~2 hours of doing a "power flail"~~ I now realize that those field names are right, but if you try it without changing every email on a new upload attempt, you'll get an error message. Hard lesson for me but now I see what a powerful feature it is.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alan,

You can login as the enrolled student by completing the flowing steps:

1. Navigate to the course.
  2. Click on to Participants to see the list of enrolled users.
  3. Click on the user's full name to view their profile (not the gear!).
  4. Click the Login As link.
You won't need the person's username or password.

Hope you find this helpful.

Best regards,

Michael Milette
In reply to Michael Milette

by Alan Coe -
Hi Michael,

Thanks, that's a good thing to know about. And thanks for all your good work helping people here.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Michael Milette -
Your very welcome Alan. Always glad to help out where and when I can.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Coe -
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/book/view.php?id=124219&chapterid=19366

"From Site administration / Front page /Front page settings, you can change the name of the site and add a summary."

That's where you can add a front page message displayed in a block. Would this be better?:

From site home, turn editing on in the site action menu, then access the cog which then appears in the upper left to add a summary and image.
In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
The block only appears on the side though; most people prefer to have the summary in the centre of the front page.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alan Coe -
Yes, I think that's why it's wrong above. It's the right path to change the name of the site, but not the right path to add a summary in the way most people do it...It's minutiae to be sure though. "Splitting hairs" as we say in the US.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Coe -
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=124221
7.Turn on full debugging and tick the Performance info. Go through your site, also checking the footer and note what you see, if anything.

This doesn't work in moodlecloud. It wasn't covered in the books, but maybe the intention was to use the site admin search box to find it.

My guess is the intention was to go to Site administration > Development > Debugging but display debug messages is greyed out as is performance info checkbox.

Also is says at the top: 
These are optional tasks to give you practice in site administration. They are not a required part of the course. 
I think it should be required but just on the honor system. Ideally with some insights that will help one pass the quiz.

In reply to Alan Coe

by Mary Cooch -
Re 7. Turning on full debugging - this is not available in MoodleCloud. The tasks are optional because indeed there are some which you cannot do in MoodleCloud because of its limitations. However, when the course is rewritten for Moodle 4.0, we will revisit this and make the tasks obligatory (or at least make it obligatory to look at them, by setting a completion condition....)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Coe -
https://learn.moodle.org/mod/choice/view.php?id=124223&notify=mustchooseone&sesskey=ife8Pr9CdH
checklist: customize your site.
I know these are 'competencies' but they're problematic. For instance I just passed the quiz, and did pretty good, and I get this screen and I have to check "I can do these" but I don't really understand the last one. There is this 'no risk' sentence: "The results of this activity will not be published after you answer" Well in a way yes it will because there's no way to make the checkbox turn green without answering. So what does that sentence even mean? I can't move forward unless I check it. So it's clear what the results of this activity were if I moved on. IE you can't make the "to do box" turn green unless you check it. If you don't understand one of them, there's no link to where you can go. With other 'end of section' checklists, it's encouraging if you really now understand each one, but if you don't understand one of them, you're in a dilemma which encourages you to lie and just check the box anyway and move on.

checklist at end of section
In reply to Helen Foster

by Greg Rich Debonair -
Picture of Plugin developers
I like it a lot.
I used it exactly to train some staff on introduction to Moodle. The feedback was good. Very clear to follow.
Thanks