Anyway to standardise length of visible post in news forum?

Anyway to standardise length of visible post in news forum?

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 4
Hello

I would like to be able to standardise post length before the

"Read the rest of this topic (nn words)..."

link becomes visible.

What's happening at the moment is that it seems to depend on something random (and I really can't see what), sometimes the post is shortened sometimes the whole post is shown.

Presumably this is only relevant to news forum and I'm only seeing it on the front page.

Happy to hack if that's what it takes.
cheers
Mandy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: Anyway to standardise length of visible post in news forum?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mandy,

Please try amending the forum_shortpost and/or forum_longpost variables in Administration >> Configuration >> Modules >> Forum.
In reply to Helen Foster

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Helen
I tried that, unfortunately it makes no difference (but thanks for trying).
I'm on v1.5.3.

The difference appears to be between users who have read/write access to news forum and those who don't. Admin, teachers etc will get shortened posts but guests and students and unlogged in visitors get the whole post.

You can see effect here without logging on or if you email me I can send you a temporary logon to see the difference - because my explanation could easily be rubbish. Oh hang on I've attached a pic of what I would like all users to see (minus the new topic button, delete and discuss options).
Attachment frontpage.gif
In reply to mandy honeyman

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, you seem to have the same problem as described in the discussion Collapsing the Site news articles for visitors. Perhaps you could add a report in the bug tracker.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -
Mandy, thanks for your report - bug 4781. approve