time-out problem in Moodle 3.5

Re: time-out problem in Moodle 3.5

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Important information, apart from the exact notification (screen-shot) are the exact Moodle version, PHP version, the theme you use, browser (Internet Explorer?). Also, the "security" settings of the quiz, like "JavaScript secutiry" or Safe Exam Browser being used.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Dominique and Visvanath,
thanks for your rich input. I'm attaching some screenshots of the notifications I get. Meanwhile, I'm checking the aspects you comment with my IT team.
Thanks!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Beatriz Rojo -
Just updating the notifications we get. This is what a student got while doing her test, this happened several times:
connection but
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What sort of login system are you using?

If you are using some sort of single-sign-on system, these errors can seem very mysterious, because if the user loses their Moodle session, then the single-sign-on system will just generate a new one. So, it will look like they are still logged in, but you get errors like this because form submissions are rejected.

One way to diagnose this is to look in the web server logs, and see if you see too many redirects to login/index.php. Try filtering the logs by this student's IP address, to see if that makes it clear.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi TIm,
we are using SSO, yes. Thanks for the indications, we'll try it.

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Visvanath,

here the info you indicated as relevant:
  • Moodle version: 3.5.10
  • PHP version: PHP Version 7.2.26-1+0~20191218.33+debian10~1.gbpb5a34b
  • Theme: Boost
  • Browser: we tested with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
  • Security" settings of the quiz: none
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
OK, they seem to be regular.

About the session time-outs: How long is your site's session time-out, how long is the exam?

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Visvanath,
session timeout is 2 hours. Most exams don't have any time limit, and they are not that long that trainees would need 2 hours to complete them. According to the feedback we got from students, the session finished quite quickly.