3.5 Prevent new quiz attempt until previous attempt is marked

3.5 Prevent new quiz attempt until previous attempt is marked

by Ian Goding -
Number of replies: 6
We have quizzes with essay questions, and need to stop a student from re-attempting the quiz until all essay questions have been marked.  The delay between attempts option isn't a solution, unfortunately.

Any ideas?
Ian Goding
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Goding

Re: 3.5 Prevent new quiz attempt until previous attempt is marked

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think there is any way to do this using standard Moodle features.

I think it would be quite easy to develop a Quiz access rule plugin for this https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Quiz_access_rules
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim,

At the bottom of that Quiz access rule plugin page it looks like those 2 links are broken:

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
True, but it is quite easy to find those docs if you have the Moodle code on your computer, which is something you will need if you are going to do this development.

The links could be updated to point to the source code on github.
In reply to Ian Goding

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Ian,
Tim's solution is the most efficient one. In my courses, I have used the time availability of the quiz to get this functionality. Or I have set it to be visible until some point, which is the point I started to correct the submissions. When I was done, I made the quiz visible again.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Ian Goding -
Thanks Tim and Beatriz,
In conversation with a colleague, he suggested setting up the quiz with one attempt, and then create a group with an override for 2 attempts (and maybe another, for 3), and then add the student to the group to allow another attempt.
Ian.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ian Goding

by Tim Hunt -
That would work! Very clever smile

However, it is a bit of extra manual work for you in addition to grading.