Moodle 3.9 and H5P Weeknote 2020-02-07 - Building strong foundations

Moodle 3.9 and H5P Weeknote 2020-02-07 - Building strong foundations

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi everybody,

Here we are again to tell you about our progress in the H5P project.

This week we have been focusing on the basic structure and design of all different fronts we are working on: 

• The first version of xAPI statement handler is already implemented, documented and waiting for peer review. You can find some more detailed information in xAPI MDL-67734.
  • The content bank is on its way. For now, the only module in core that uses content bank will be the H5P content manager, but we are sure more will come for future releases. And, as always in Moodle, everybody will be able to create their own content bank plugin as any other plugin type. We hope to get everything ready for Moodle 3.9 and encourage developers to create new plugins that suits their needs. 
  • We started working on the H5P core activity (MDL-67707). This will enable users to create new core activities using existing H5P contents in the content bank. We will try to make it as compatible as possible with the current mod_hvp some of you are already using, to be sure you can continue using the content created in older Moodle versions. 

Hot topics:

• MDL-67060: Improve admin UI to make H5P content types management easier for admins showing them all information together in the same page.
  • MDL-67063: Add a mechanism to support different H5P core_api versions in stable Moodle versions.

Warm thanks:

• To Spanish healthcare system for taking care of some team members. It has been an intense week, but it's getting better.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Amaia Anabitarte

Re: Moodle 3.9 and H5P Weeknote 2020-02-07 - Building strong foundations

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Amaia:

I see the integration in core means a new module:  mod_h5p.

We at ULPGC are currentý using Moodle 3.5 with mod_hvp plugin installed. We have some content created by teachers with hvp.   ¿How do you contemplate  migration form mod_hvp to mod_h5p? 

In other words, when H5P will be in core, are there plans for backward compatibility with mod_hvp or for content migration? When upgrading moodle 3.5 with mod_hvp installed to moodle 3.9, what it's supposed to happen with existing hvp? 

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Stuart Mealor -
Excellent question Enrique
I believe many people will be looking at this right now.
By this, I mean administrators of sites already using H5P via the plugin.
For the integration of H5P into Moodle core I believe it will be 100% essential that all existing H5P content in Moodle courses will be rendered correctly by the core plugin.
I'm sure the Moodle developers working on this will understand the impact if this isn't the case.

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Enrique and Stuart,

One of our goals in this project is make new core H5P activity as compatible as possible with mod_hvp, but we are still considering the best way to do it. Providing a tool for users to migrate content from mod_hvp to mod_h5p it's an option we are considering, but that's not decided yet. We will keep you updated about the results of the research and the decisions made.

Thanks for your feedback and input!

Amaia

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Amaia:
This is going to happen just one time for Institutions having mod_hvp installed and with content.
It would be fine for us to have a migration tool form ONE version of mod_hvp (perhaps the latest stable by April or so) to the initial version on mod_h5p in moodle 3.9. So we don't need this event been added and stored forever in the module db/upgrade.php
For mod_h5p the history of upgrades would be clean, and always within mod_h5p.
I', thinking something like the admin_tool tool_assignmentupgrade when mod_assignment was deprecated and mod_assign was born.

The key point is that I think admins do not need a complete "any previous version of mod_hvp is compatible with any future version of mod_h5p". We need a path for upgrade, avoiding being trapped by scenarios where maximal upgradeable state in an install doesn't match with minimum upgradeable in the other branch.

The current mod_hvp version 1.20.2 (2020020500) is compatible from moodle 2.7 up to 3.8. So, and admin migrating to 3.9 (or further) just will need to upgrade mod_hvp yo this 1.20.2 (2020020500) version (or other agreed with hvp people in these months before 3.9), then migrate to initial mod_h5p in a 3.9 installation, and then upgrade that to 4.0 or 4.3 in the future.

I wholeheartly agree with Stuart that content migration is a must. Unthinkable otherways.  This must be part of the initial implementation plans for h5p integration in core.

by Amaia Anabitarte -
Thanks for your input and feedback.

We will take your experience into consideration.

Thanks again, Enrique. We hope you will continue to help us with further input.

Amaia

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Amaia,
I wonder what are the pros and cons you came up with when decided to develop a new H5P module in core. can you share?

Also, we are concerned about the migration process, as we are using a patched upstream mod_hvp to support RTL (see: https://github.com/iucc/h5p-moodle-plugin )
Will you support RTL in the new H5P module for version 3.9?
And also concerned about possible broken links that might occur on our systems after using the assumed to be developed "migration tool", as we embed a lot of H5P activities all over the course using "ATTO embed H5P button" we developed: https://github.com/iucc/moodle-atto_hvp

Please consider above scenarios.

Nadav
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Hi Nadav,

Thanks for sharing your code on RTL patch in mod_hvp. Of course this will be an issue we will need to guarantee on the new H5Pactivity so I create a new issue for it in order to adapt and test this specific configuration (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-68151).

Embed H5P into Atto won't be migrated to activities. Atto button and H5P new activity are separate functionalities. The migration tool we are evaluating is from mod_hvp for now.
In reply to Ferran Recio Calderó

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Ferran for making it clear. I guess we will deal with this on our side, as we upgrade to 3.9

I will upload the RTL fixes to the new H5P module (H5Pactivity) via MDL-68151.