Annotating PDF

Annotating PDF

by Luigina Contarelli -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I’d like to give my students feedback with comments and notes on the works they upload on MOODLE. The ‘Annotating PDF’ plug-in has been correctly installed by the admin. However, when the PDF page opens to be corrected, the text is not uploaded there, but it appears on the right, making it impossible to edit or copy anything.

On the blank page it’s possible to edit and comment. What has gone wrong? I’d be glad if you could help me...thank you!

(I will include screenshot ASAP!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luigina Contarelli

Re: Annotating PDF

by Luigina Contarelli -

Here's the screenshot of the page I'm getting...

Attachment Schermata 2020-01-30 alle 08.10.54.png

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It looks like the students are typing the text into a comment, rather than uploading a file with the text in it.

The PDF annotation works with uploaded files, not with the supporting comments that students make alongside the files.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by David Morrow -
Luigina,

One quick thing to try - use the Modifica utente box in the top-right to select a user. Click the down arrow and select a name or use the right arrow. There is a student name at the top of the page, but not one in that smaller box.

Our PDF annotations are behaving like this. It appears to not work, but if a name is selected in that box, everything proceeds as expected. I wish I knew enough to fix it!

Our Moodle does convert online text submissions into PDF to be marked up. We use Google as our PDF converter instead of unoconv. We are on Moodle 3.7.

Also, I think the submission may be appearing in the Commenti box because of the assignment settings. If the following settings are in place, the grading page would appear as in your screenshot:

Submission Type - Online Text
Feedback Type - Feedback Comments and Annotate PDF
Comment Inline - Yes

That last setting causes the online text submission to be copied into a feedback/commenti text box so the instructor can edit and comment directly in the original submission using Moodle's text editor.

David
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Morrow

by Luigina Contarelli -
Hello David,
I will check the settings with the administrator...thank you very much for your suggestions!
Luigina

by David Morrow -
Luigina - hello!

Those three settings I mentioned are in the settings for the assignment. If you have teacher rights in the course, you won't need your administrator.

Thanks,

David

by Acqua Alta -
Hi Luigina,
It's better to blur personal details (like the name and e-mail address of the users) in screenshots that are taken from production environments.
In reply to Acqua Alta

by Luigina Contarelli -
True, I'm usually very aware of privacy matters, only after I sent it I realized I had forgotten to blur them...
Thank you!