Freehand drawing over *.SVGZ files

Freehand drawing over *.SVGZ files

de către Masood Ziayee-
Număr de răspunsuri: 18

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to let students add free hand drawing to SVGZ files.

I have content pages as lessons inside chapters and each lesson (content page) page includes at least one SVGZ file which is shown up properly. 

These SVGZ pages have some class activities for students (such as fill in the blanks) in which they must write on it with their hands.

This course has 9 chapters and total number of 700+ pages (SVGZ). What i want to achieve is each student should be able to draw and annotate in SVGZ pages independently and if possible, the teacher should also be able to check their activity progress in class. 

Any recommendation in this regard will be highly appreciated.  

Media aprecierilor: -
Ca răspuns la Masood Ziayee

Re: Freehand drawing over *.SVGZ files

de către Dominique Bauer-
Fotografia lui Documentation writers Fotografia lui Particularly helpful Moodlers Fotografia lui Plugin developers

Hello Masood,

Have you tried the Freehand drawing question type? Note that you will have to convert svgz files to png files (the question also accepts jpg and gif).

Media aprecierilor:Useful (2)
Ca răspuns la Dominique Bauer

de către Masood Ziayee-
Dear Mr. Bauer,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. What you have recommended will surely work for quizzes but not for the book as there are more than 700 pages.
as you can see in the demo picture, I have added a worksheet with no answers on the left side, what i want now is that students should be able either to write on svg, pdf, or jpg files using free hand tool or should type the answers on them directly. and should also have the option to save their work privately so no other student can see their answers except teacher.
Is there any other lesson/book activity type that supports writing on any type of file (pdf, jpg, gif, svg)?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Atașament matths test.JPG

Fotografia lui Documentation writers Fotografia lui Particularly helpful Moodlers Fotografia lui Plugin developers

Hello Masood,

Take a look at Amanote (Youtube, Moodle plugins directory).

I installed it and tried it. It seems to work fine.

Media aprecierilor:Useful (1)

de către Masood Ziayee-
Thank you very much for the response.
This tool looks amazing, but unfortunately it is not free and requires subscription. Additionally, it also requires internet connection.

Please let me know if you find any alternative to Amanote which is free and works offline.

Thank you very much,

de către Rick Jerz-
Fotografia lui Particularly helpful Moodlers Fotografia lui Testers
So you want a standalone freehand drawing tool that is free. Realize that Moodle is an Internet-based product. I thought that you were looking for a solution that runs within Moodle.

Have you put "Freehand drawing over *.SVGZ files" into a Google search?

When I first read your initial post I was thinking "... a person who wants a free Illustrator-like product that is integrated into Moodle." I found it interesting that Dominque provided a good idea."
Ca răspuns la Rick Jerz

de către Masood Ziayee-
Yes, I did a lot of research on this but couldn't find any plugin. I also tried PDF Annotation but i can't add it as a book resource as i have more than 700 svgz pages in one course.
If there is any freehand drawing plugin for jpg or pdf files, then I will convert all the pages to these formats.

Hello Massoud,

Just to understand better, the example you gave (236+260=?) is basic. In which grade are the students? Should they attempt all 700 pages? Will the answers be marked and, if so, by hand?

Hello Masood,

I used the mouse to write "496". It will look better if you use a pen on a tablet.

Media aprecierilor:Useful (2)

de către Masood Ziayee-
Hello Mr. Bauer,

Thank you very much for the suggestion, it works well in computer but in tablets when you try to draw, it only moves the page.

de către Masood Ziayee-
Hello Mr. Bauer,
Each lesson has a practice page.
For example: This book has 10 chapters and each chapter has average of 10 lessons (each lesson is inside one content page). Now, all of the lessons have class activity at the end where students must write on it by hand or type the answer.
We have grade 1 to 10 students, and the class activity wont be marked as it is for practicing only.

Thanks,

de către Robert Juch-

I got information from my Helpdesk that this addon is causing some errors in Moodle (CRON), which can lead to unstable platform working. Is there something similar and up to date?

Ca răspuns la Robert Juch

Hello Robert,

The PDF Annotation plugin ↗ allows you to annotate a PDF document. Note that it seems to be up to date. It is designed so that all students and the teacher can annotate the same document. The annotations are therefore public and visible to all.

You could still use this PDF Annotation plugin to have each student do their own exercise, as long as you don't have too many students. If so, you could create as many copies of the Annotation document as there are students and restrict access to each copy to a different student. It's a bit of work, but it would work just fine.

However, if you allow the students to type in their answers using the keyboard, it seems to me that another approach could be much more effective. It's just a matter of creating a Calculated or Formulas question, which I prefer, where the data is random. For example, for the addition of two whole numbers composed of three digits, from 100 to 999, there are 900 x 900 = 810 000 different additions possible. As a result, students will likely never have the same questions from other students or in their own question set. In addition, the correction is done automatically and you can automate feedback as detailed as you want. Finally, with this approach, questions can be developed very quickly, in a matter of minutes when you are familiar with these types of questions.

If students are learning to count, you might want them to enter the answer from right to left, as in this example ↗. (The data is not random, but I could do it if you are interested.)

de către Robert Juch-

We probably have this functionality, but it looks a little bit different. I used it to review students projects.

Toolbar

Making different files for 180 students with restrict access will be difficult (I think it can generate a lot of errors). It would be nice to have this functionality in quizes.

Ca răspuns la Robert Juch

Hello Robert,

What you show is the assignment annotation built in tool for teachers ↗. Unfortunately, students can't use it. PDF annotation ↗ is a different tier party plugin that you have to install.

For the quizzes, you could scan hard copies annotated by the students. This is how the popular Offline Quiz plugin ↗ works, which is said to be widely used, for example, in Austria, near you.

You could also use an Essay question, where you can provide a PDF file using a link to your Private files so that students can download it, then annotate it with any PDF editor, and finally upload their annotated copy back to the Essay question:

Formulas_20200805_1207.png?time=1596644470750

I got information from my Helpdesk that this addon is causing some errors in Moodle (CRON), which can lead to unstable platform working.

The real-time interpretation of a free hand drawing probably requires the activation of an appropriate cronjob, separate from that which runs according to the moodle cron, using a cron.php script, even preferably running on a separate application server to take load from the frontend servers.

No sweat for an experienced developer, but still a bit difficult for me.

de către Robert Juch-

You could also use an Essay question, where you can provide a PDF file using a link to your Private files so that students can download it, then annotate it with any PDF editor, and finally upload their annotated copy back to the Essay question:

I think this is functionality I am looking for. My colleagues teaching history of architecture. They are making drawing questions (for example to draw scheme of greek temples). I think students can receive questions in Moodle, then they can draw it on paper and make a photo with phone to upload image as an answer.

Thank you very much for your quick response!