Removing question flag ?

Removing question flag ?

by Miro Iliaš -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

sometimes students mark a questions in the Quiz with the flag. Teacher then fixes labeled questions, but I as teacher see no way for removing the flag from the question afterwards in the Quiz. Flag remains on the Quiz question even after the question got fixed.

Any ideas, please ?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miro Iliaš

Re: Removing question flag ?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The flag is not connected at all with the question being fixed, or not fixed. It is just a feature that the student can manually turn on or off.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Miro Iliaš -
Thanks.
So, when I fix the question, the workaround for me, the teacher, it to log as the student and manually remove the flag.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, that would work. Why is the flag bothering you?

Since students are typically the ones setting the flag, why not teach them its true purpose, which is simply a flag?

If students find errors in questions, have them email you. I award my students one bonus point for catching errors.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Miro Iliaš -
This is very good question and I am glad to explain my worlflow.

My students are generating a lot of questions each semester (this time it was 700+ as their semestral project into StudentQuiz), which are impossible to check thoroughly by me. Our university students are not able to fix all their questions, they simply produce them during semester and do not care any more.

These questions (some of them checked, but not all) - after exporting/moving to a new category - go to Quizes with much smaller number of questions picked randomly from larger sets ( for example, 25 question of 200+ for Organic chemistry, next school year is will be 25/400+). But these Quizes are for other (high school) students, who did not create questions.

If a student finds faulty question in the Quiz, he simply raises the flag. Teacher fixes flagged questions in Quizes but must remove all flags in order not to confuse other co-teachers about re-fixing labeled questions again.

To generalize, with the StudentQuiz module and all questions generated by not so pedantic students we entered a "big data" era (here data=questions). We must think also on fixing questions workflow and flags are very good tool for that.

Based on my experience describred above I would propose new feature - teachers capability to remove flags from Quiz questions. 
In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you for explaining your scenario. I sounds like an interesting model.

From what you say, a capability to let teachers alter the flags in a student's attempt could be worth adding.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Provasnik -
The point of the flag is to call attention to the particular question, so Miro's use case does make sense. A thought does come up - Part of my job is to maintain student data for several years after they leave our school - I'd be concerned if teachers could permanently change something that student had submitted. Though I guess it's no different than how teachers can edit a student's assignment submission. As long as there is a log of the teacher removing the flag then I guess that's really all this would be needed (in my case anyway). 

In reply to John Provasnik

by Miro Iliaš -
Hi John,
concerning data obtained from students - we can distinguish between "frozen", like submitted (pdf) files, and those of a "flexible" kind, like editable questions in StudentQuiz. The editable Quiz questions have great potential to evolve towards better quality, especially if these are "alive", that is used in Quiz-es.
In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Rick Jerz -
Let me see if I can summarize what you are doing.

You have students create questions as part of their assignment. Then, you actually use these student-created questions as part of the course. If any student finds a question that seems to have an error, you tell them to "flag" it. If this is correct, it is an interesting use of the quiz engine. You are basically relying on students to create quality questions. Well, maybe a bit unconventional, but sure, you can do this.

I think that you have seen us say that that is not the intended function of the "flag." John's point might be that some students want to use the flag for its "intended" purpose. I don't know how you plan to separate these two uses, one where the student wanted to flag a question for their own use, and one where the student is flagging a question because they believe it is a bad question and they want to call your attention to it.

I don't get many "bad" questions because I am using the textbook publisher questions, so these have already had many rounds of review. But errors do occur. When they do, I tell my students to copy/paste the question into a forum post to alert me, and if they are correct, they get a bonus point. This method is easy, and it is very effective.

But I don't know if this method would work for you since you might have many more "bad" questions. You have an interesting management problem, both fixing questions and figuring out how to score a student's quiz that might have 4 bad questions out of 10 (for example.) If this student did get 4 bad questions, and answered 5 of 6 correct, do they get a 5/10 or a 5/6 score?

I wonder if it would be better to separate student quiz generation from quiz delivery. Perhaps have a separate assignment where students are asked to create 10 new questions. Then, before using these, a teacher(s) would review these student-generated questions and decide which are accurate and best. I think one goal could be to minimize the number of bad questions in the real quiz.

Getting back to your approach, you might be able to generate custom SQL and find all questions that have been flagged. If this report is output as an Excel file, then your instructors can use this file to work through the corrections, leaving the original "flags" untouched. (Yes, you still have to figure out if the student is correct, and what you are going to do about their grade.)

There might be other methods, too. I am just trying to help you think through your situation.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Miro,

Just in case, so you don't miss this: Allow students to make a comment / feedback for each question on a quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Miro Iliaš -
Thanks ! Very useful plugin. Myself, I prefer simple flag.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Miro Iliaš -
Hello Rick,

setting good workflow for generating/controlling/delivery of quiz questions is doable, based on my few years experience with that.

My university students of chemistry produce plenty of questions into StudentQuiz, and this is the first station for controlling them, mostly by me.

Then these "good and almost good" chemistry questions are delivered (exorted) into optional quizes for high-school students, who have the choice to flag them. For scoring quizes with bad questions, I prefer the 5/6 scheme you pointed.

Unfortunately, I am not expert in SQL, I prefer look at Quiz and manually resolve flagged questions. But mostly these are all good questions, which can be further improved.