Category, Course & Tag Structure Best Practice

Category, Course & Tag Structure Best Practice

by John Poodle -
Number of replies: 1

I am trying to decide on a structure for the course material on Moodle so that it is flexible enough long term, as I develop more content, and doesn’t require a new re-structure later down the track.

I understand that there are basically 4 levels which can be used to structure the course material: Categories, Sub Categories, Courses and Tags

I am considering the following structure:

Category (like a topic or subject eg. Visual Arts)

- Sub Category (eg. Drawing)

-- Course (eg. Pencil Drawing, Ink Drawing etc)

--- Tags (eg. Beginner, intermediate, advanced etc)

However I’m not sure how to determine/test if this structure will work long term. For example, just considering if I develop course material that technically spans multiple Categories or Sub-Categories (such as Performing Arts art forms which are influenced by Visual Arts but have their own discipline as well), because you can only assign material to one of these (to avoid duplicates) how would that work?

Are there any resources on best practice for deciding this? I understand that every LMS is different, but t least a starting point would help.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Poodle

Re: Category, Course & Tag Structure Best Practice

by John Poodle -
I have managed to get a few examples from other sources, so I thought I would post these here for the benefit of anyone looking for the same thing. A few examples of different hierarchy structure:

By Discipline/Topic:
- Drawing
- Painting
- Sculpting
etc

By User Role (NOT Moodle role):
- Painter
- Illustrator
- Sculptor
etc

By Semester:
- Q1