Random subset of questions from Q bank

Random subset of questions from Q bank

by Henry Quinn -
Number of replies: 0

I just wrote a program that exports questions from a spreadsheet into the Moodle XML format and they successfully import into Moodle.  Now the next step is figuring out how to make it be at least equivalent to what I was doing with the SCORM module.  Despite looking at various (confusing) documentation, I still end up with the following issues to solve:

a)  How to show a random subset of 10 questions from a question bank of 50+ questions.  Each student must get a random subset in random order.

b)  I don't understand how the point system of passing grades can be implemented.  In Quiz Administration --> Edit Settings --> Grade --> Grade to Pass, it wants me to enter in a point value.  But, how is this possible if I desire a random subset of questions to be offered to a student?  I understand that a question can have a different point value from one question to another.  So, if I 'hard code' in a passing point value, then wouldn't that make it possible for an unpassable quiz to be created if they get 10 T/F questions worth 1 point versus 10 Multiple Choice questions worth 5 points if the passing threshold is 15?  

I really don't understand how this point system is intended to work and I haven't come across a simple explanation.

In the SCORM module I was using for quizzes before, it was much simpler.  I specified the user needed a passing grade of 80% and it calculated whether 80% of the questions were properly graded.

Further down, under Overall Feedback, I see it uses Grade Boundaries but these appear to be in percentages, which is how I want to score the passing grade.  Isn't there a way to avoid points and just evaluate based on percentage?   All I am really trying to do is find out whether a student passed or failed provided they score at least 80%.

c)  And lastly, each quiz should only be counted as Pass or Fail (I don't care about numeric grades).  At the end I am using a Simple Certificate which is made available only if all previous activities are either complete (SCORM) and passed (quizzes).  Note:  Since I was using SCORM for quizzes and lessons, I had the criteria for the certificate set for display if all activities were "completed".  Am I correct in understanding that with Moodle quizzes, I will need to change the certificate issuance prerequisite to "completed" for SCORM lessons and "passed" for Moodle quizzes?

Average of ratings: -