View participants profile

by Tim Titchmarsh -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

If I view my participants of my course I can see the names in the list but when I try to click one to edit I get the following error below. I have explicitly enabled all of the view/edit user profile permissions, double checked by listing my permissions out but no joy. I can edit my own name in the list but not my class members. I have the role teacher and my class and myself are all in the same group. I can view/edit them if I am logged in as admin.

Error when attempting to view course user profile with url:

https://testcentre.11plusswot.co.uk/user/view.php?id=280&course=18

You cannot view the profile of this user

More information about this error

×Debug info:
Error code: cannotviewprofile
×Stack trace:
  • line 494 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 130 of /user/view.php: call to print_error()

You cannot view the profile of this user

More information about this error

×Debug info:
Error code: cannotviewprofile
×Stack trace:
  • line 494 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 130 of /user/view.php: call to print_error()

Any idea please.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Titchmarsh

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Tim,
When you're looking at the course Participants page, do you have any other roles than the Teacher role?
When you've said you've double checked, do you mean as a moodle admin, or as a course teacher?
In your course admin block, click on "users" and then "permissions"
On that first page you see, I'll assume the teacher role or the authenticated user role will be listed next to "moodle/user:viewdetails"
Search for the permission "moodle/user:update" and see if your role is listed next to it. If you cannot find this permission at the course level, check with your Moodle admin to check who has this permission (set at the site level)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: View participants profile

by Tim Titchmarsh -

Hi John

Thanks for your info.

I am logged in as system admin.

If I  ("Tim Swot"),  view my role (Tutor) from the role definition page I can see user:viewdetails and user:update are set to allow.

If I check permissions for the course where I am a participant in the role Tutor , I can see all the roles I am in including Tutor. If I then check the Permissions for User "Tim Swot" below I can see its not allowed me. I can't see where I can allow this?

If I check Capabilities for Role Tutor, it says I do have permissions.

I am the system admin so can do whats needed, if only I knew what. 

Regards

Tim

CapabilityAllowed
Course
View user profilesmoodle/user:viewdetailsNo

In reply to Tim Titchmarsh

Re: View participants profile

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Ok -- Sometimes there are course overrides for a role that still prevent you from doing something.
A few things, Go to : https://yourmoodle.com/admin/tool/capability/index.php (replace the yourmoodle with your actual site) and paste in "moodle/user:viewdetails" then select "All"

You'll get a few results -- first, the top level permissions. Ensure your site level roles allow for this permission (remember, you will be an authenticated user as well as any other system role you may be in (system role meaning you were added to it here: https://yourmoodle.com/admin/roles/assign.php?contextid=1
Then it will show this permission as the category level and then the course level IF there are overrides in the category or course.

If that doesnt clear anything up, go to your course from the link you posted before, (and this is a different step than what i posted earlier) go to the Admin block in that course and click on Users - Permissions. Once the page loads, click on the dropdown -- see if there are any number next to any of the roles - those numbers indicate the number of manual overrides. If there is a number next to your tutor role, select it from the drop down and then scroll down to find the permission to see if Allow is set for your tutor role.

Hopefully those 2 steps might lead to something.