Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: assign_print_overview() can not be used any more and is obsolete.

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: assign_print_overview() can not be used any more and is obsolete.

by Nils Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 7

In my moodle version 3.8.1 php version 7.2 mariaDB 10.2.30 maintained in Plesk I keep getting the above error when I click on "Dashboard". 

I have debugging activated but no trace on "Dashboard", whether as a normal user or as admin. But as Admin, when I go to "Site Administration" the following error messages appear over and over.

• line 8385 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to require()
  • line 8274 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to admin_get_root()
  • line 24 of /admin/search.php: call to admin_externalpage_setup()
parent does not exist!
  • line 921 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 79 of /admin/settings/privacy.php: call to admin_category->add()
  • line 8274 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to admin_get_root()
  • line 24 of /admin/search.php: call to admin_externalpage_setup()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'smtphosts' or component 'message_email'. Perhaps you are missing $string['smtphosts'] = ''; in /home/httpd/vhosts/naturschutz-r-s.ch/moodle.wieselundco.ch/message/output/email/lang/en/message_email.php?
  • line 353 of /lib/classes/string_manager_standard.php: call to debugging()
  • line 7292 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to core_string_manager_standard->get_string()
  • line 28 of /message/output/email/settings.php: call to get_string()
  • line 68 of /lib/classes/plugininfo/message.php: call to include()
  • line 76 of /admin/settings/messaging.php: call to core\plugininfo\message->load_settings()
  • line 26 of /admin/search.php: call to admin_get_root()

I don't know exactly when all this started, but it must be in the last couple of weeks / months. Does anybody have a clue as to how to resolve this error?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nils Ratnaweera

Re: Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: assign_print_overview() can not be used any more and is obsolete.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

in moodle code/admin/cli/ run:

php cfg.php |grep smtp

Are there settings for smtp  relay?

Have you checked them?

SoS, Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: assign_print_overview() can not be used any more and is obsolete.

by Nils Ratnaweera -

Regrettably, I cannot answer your question directly, since I don't have shell access to the server. Visvanath Ratnaweera advised me to show you the smtp info from Site Administration -> Server -> Php Info. Does this help?

php info

Additionally, I've tested Messaging and Forum posts. People are getting the Forum Posts they are subscribed to, but Messaging shows the following error. The Link "More Information about this error" forwards to the page http://docs.moodle.org/38/en/error/message/disabled, which apparently does not exist yet.

messaging

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well I'm confused.... what has the subject of this thread got to do with the trace you have shown (given the assign_print_overview error isn't in the trace)?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Nils Ratnaweera -
I have no clue is one is related to the other.. I'm here hoping to find out. You think this is unlikely?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I gave Nils the standard advice of https://docs.moodle.org/en/Debugging against the error in the subject. It is quite possible that the debugging at developer level brings unrelated errors and warnings to light.

So the second standard hint: There could be an unsupported/outdated non-core plug-in in the system, which escaped the hoster's (GUI) installation/upgrade mechanism.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Nils Ratnaweera -
For the record: we successfully solved the issue by uninstalling one "additional" plugin after the other. Uninstalling "Course Overview (Legacy)" did the trick!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mary Taylor -

Just wanted to thank you for posting this one last comment which helped me solve the same problem.