moodle and h5p

moodle and h5p

by Vicze András -
Number of replies: 14

Greetings and I apologize if I am asking this in a wrong sub-topic:

Our company is renting a server and had a moodle version 3.8.1 set up on that server, albeit the host/owner of the server made it clear the we currently cannot/are not authorized to install plugins without upgrading the server first.

So my question is: I noticed that when adding new activities/pages, there is a h5p button on the toolbar. Does it mean we could import and embed h5p files regardless, or do we need to install a plugin to handle h5p files beforehand? (Which would imply the necessity of upgrading the server.) Unfortunately many youtube guides/ videos I found about moodle and h5p date back to 2015-2017, and I am relatively new to moodle myself, thus I did not find anything "easy to understand" on this specific issue.

I appreciate any help/advice.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vicze András

Re: moodle and h5p

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It probably means you have H5P already installed. If you go to Administration-> Plugins and scroll down. If H5P is on the list, you can create or upload H5P content.  Keep in mind, if you create directly in moodle, a lot of the 'features' must be 'installed', which really just means someone with admin permissions opens the module, and clicks Get and then install for each interaction type. 

I think there are two types of H5P activity options available for the activity chooser. One is the Interactive Content package. The other one I'm not really familiar with but have seen screen shots of its existence. I think it is just some sort of link out to the H5P site but can't tell you how it works. Make sure you know which one you're using.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Vicze András

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Vicze,

The H5P button on the Atto editor is one of the new features of Moodle 3.8. From this version Moodle has native support for H5P content (without any extra plugins) and any H5P content could be used in any text like labels, pages, books or descriptions.

However, for now all H5P contents are considered "read only". In Moodle 3.9 is expected a new H5P activity that will use H5P content as a gradable user activity.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ferran Recio Calderó

by Thomas Hucke -

Hi Ferran. I understand that in Moodle 3.8 one can upload H5P content directly from the editor. But where can I create my H5P content (for free)? The only option I see is to install the H5P plugin and create content. Or is there another way? What is the idea of supporting H5P content in Moodle 3.8 if I need the H5P plugin anyway? Or do I miss something? I hope you can help me with my doubts.

Thanks.

In reply to Thomas Hucke

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
But where can I create my H5P content (for free)?
I have never seen it charged for within Moodle.
In reply to Thomas Hucke

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
hi Thomas,

In 3.8 you still need to use the Plugin to create H5P content. The upload H5P content option in 3.8 is mostly used for those that use the h5P platform to create content, ór those who want to show their created Plugin content in a different place in the course.

Gemma
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Thomas Hucke -
Thanks Gemma for your explanation. I am currently testing Moodle 3.8 and recently discovered H5P. We don't have users who already have H5P files. What are the options for creating H5P content? Of course I can install the H5P plugin and create content in Moodle 3.8. It is a little difficult to automatically embed h5p content in text fields because the H5P filter plugin does not work in Moodle 3.8. But  you can create the H5P content with the plugin, download the newly created content as a zip file and upload it again with the H5P button of the Atto editor in order to embed the content directly with an Moodle activity or resource.

Is there any other way to create H5P content without the H5P plugin? I registered at H5P.org, but content creation is free for testing only and all created content is publicly available. As far as I know, creating content on H5P.org without a plugin is not free and you have to pay a certain amount of money.

But perhaps I got something wrong here... I'd appreciate very much if you could enlighten me.

With best regards.

In reply to Thomas Hucke

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

hi Thomas,

Creating free H5P content - in Moodle 3.8 your only solution is the Moodle H5P plugin. 

But don't worry/ dispear, Moodle 3.9 is coming up soon. In this version we do expect to be able to create free H5P content without help of the H5P plugin. 

Gemma

In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Thomas Hucke -
Gemma, I appreciate very much your reply. I would have liked such a clear statement in the Moodle documentation. But as Joseph Rézeau stated above, there is a standalone application LUMI at http://lumi.education/#download which works on your local computer. I did some tests and it is wonderful. Again, thank you very much for helping out.
In reply to Thomas Hucke

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
To create H5P contents directly on your computer you can use LUMI at http://lumi.education/#download.
I've just tested it and it works well.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Thomas Hucke -
Joseph, these are wonderful news, I appreciate very much. As soon as I read your mail I did some test and the results are great. Again, thank you very much for your great help.

Thomas.
In reply to Thomas Hucke

by Stuart Mealor -
"The only option I see is to install the H5P plugin and create content."
This is correct, for Moodle 3.8 and earlier.
Multiple people have clarified this above.
"What is the idea of supporting H5P content in Moodle 3.8 if I need the H5P plugin anyway?"
- because H5P is 'not Moodle' - it is a different application, but you can use it in Moodle 3.8 and earlier with a plugin.
From Moodle 3.9 H5P is integrated within Moodle Core, so you will not need a plugin.