(moodle 3.0) I would like to use moodle and make it accessible for deaf people

by Ahmed Ibrahim -
Number of replies: 14

I would like to use moodle and make it accessible for deaf people, so I think that If I can make all screens with text and video for it.

So can I make a category in text and upload  a video describing it?

I am asking if their a way to make all screens text in my course contain both text and a button beside it plays a video describing this text, can I make this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ahmed Ibrahim

Re: (moodle 3.0) I would like to use moodle and make it accessible for deaf people

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not sure exactly what you seek, but if you plan to use videos, you should "caption" your videos.  Then the deaf can turn on captions.

Moodle has the ability for you to add caption files (vtt files) to your videos.

Re: (moodle 3.0) I would like to use moodle and make it accessible for deaf people

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Most modern browsers come with 'speaking' built in. For free.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rick Jerz -
It appears to me that the original poster has to accommodate the "deaf." I interpreted this as "not being able to hear," which is why I suggested captions for videos. I believe that "deaf" people can read, and that it is the "blind" who might need text read to them.

In my courses, I provide captions for all my videos, and I even provide a time-coded transcript (SRT) file.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
He did... in my defence, I was prompted by the reference to 'Readspeaker' which - unless I am substantially missing something - has been rendered pretty pointless.

by Ahmed Ibrahim -
What I seek is that every text I add in Admin should be combined with video too
Such as:
Course name should be in text and video
Course description also be in text and video
Course questions, answers, choices should be in text and video
and all items in the course should be in text and video
What is available now in Moodle as I found is adding them in text only
Every added text should have a button beside it to point to a video to be working after clicking on it
Or every added text (including course name and all other course structure) should be added in html5 containing both text and a button points to a video on youtube for example
Any suggestions in this?

by Rick Jerz -

I am a bit confused.  First, everything in Moodle is already in text.

It appears that you might want to be making videos, and again, need to caption these.

Perhaps you could mock up something to show us what you are seeking.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ahmed Ibrahim -
You are correct, everything in Moodle in text but many deaf people in our country don't interpret text, so we should make everything in video sign language
Course name for example should in text and video or only in video but how can I make this? How can I make course name in video not in text?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'but many deaf people in our country don't interpret text,'
I don't understand, could you post a video of the name of this course in video to illustrate?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
On re-reading, I think the key phrase here is
'so we should make everything in video sign language'
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by ben reynolds -
I agree. I totally missed this phrase and kept wondering why he needed video.
Here's a thought, after I admit that I don't know enough css.
Would the current "tours" work for sign language video? Instead of make your own tour with the little text pop ups, repurpose to pop up a video?
In reply to ben reynolds

by Marcus Green -
If you assume you have video with signing for all the activities, they are almost all depend on text, so I am not sure it will help that much anyway.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This is possible.

The idea would be to append something like ##[youtube id] after each of those locations. And have a little javascript in the footer of the page, that would look for those snippets and turn them into triggers for youtube lightbox players. In the following example we use a thumbnail as a youtube lightbox trigger. But you could use a little icon just as easily
eg https://demo.poodll.com/mod/page/view.php?id=184

I suspect that not all those locations can be filtered using Moodle's filter system. But if they can it would be reasonably simple task. Since the functionality could all be captured in a single template for Generico filter. But you could still do it with plain old javascript in the additional html area of Moodle. 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Joost Elshoff -
Hi all,

Maybe this is a bit of a silly suggestion, but I've seen it implemented in some Moodle sites for providing video tutorials.

Create a site level (or course level) glossary
Add items to the glossary, pointing to the specifics of your course, etc...
Add a video in the item description bit
Turn Glossary Item auto linking on

Once done, you're set up with a set of interactive popups your users can click on whenever they need to find something or need to learn about this.

If the glossary itself shouldn't be consulted, but its items should, consider turning on stealth mode (available from 3.5) and set the glossary to hidden but available.