MoodleCloud Site Page Not Working

MoodleCloud Site Page Not Working

by Katie Kahre -
Number of replies: 22

Hello!

Is everyone having issues with their MoodleCloud Site today? We have two MoodleCloud sites and both say Page Not Working.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katie Kahre

Re: MoodleCloud Site Page Not Working

by Monty Bhatia -
Hi Katie, you are not alone.
My site is down and there is another post in here of someone's site being down.

So doesnt appear to be isolated.
In reply to Monty Bhatia

by Katie Kahre -
Hi Monty!
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully it will be remedied quickly!
In reply to Katie Kahre

by Rob Merkus -
Yes, one of my 2 MoodleCloud free sites is not working.
In reply to Katie Kahre

by Kristen Melton -

Ours is down as well. Anyone know who to contact?

In reply to Kristen Melton

by Monty Bhatia -

Not sure who to contact but I sent a note to:  support@moodle.com

Will report back if I hear anything I’m not sure if there is a cloud specific contact.

In reply to Monty Bhatia

by Katie Kahre -
Hello Monty!
I also sent an email to to that address. I believe that is the correct one for this type of issue. I have had to contact them before and they are pretty quick at getting back with me. However, I believe it may be a few hours before we hear anything due to the time difference (I believe it is around 1 am in Australia right now).
In reply to Katie Kahre

by J C -

Yes, our site is also down! I am receiving a 503 error. Our IT department has advised me that this is a host error. 
Moodle does have an site where you can log issues: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-67760.

I submitted Issue MDL-67760 - please vote for that issue as that will let Moodle know that multiple people are having the same issue.

Thanks everyone for posting here - good to know we're not the only ones!

In reply to J C

by Phong Cao -

Mine didn't working as well. Already contacted with moodle support. Not fixed yet.

Your case .... is being looked into

Inbox
x
AIbEiAIAAABDCI74jomcj8PfICILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDVkYzNlMWZiZmJjZDY5OWZmZTVlYmY4NmFjY2RhYmM2NDY2ZTZlOWUwAZowUFjSMNdCUcjsjEKkrHaYmFKo?sz=40

Moodle Support <support@moodle.com>

In reply to Phong Cao

by J C -
Hi Phong Cao,
I would appreciate it if you could make another post if you receive a follow up response from that email. I tried emailing support@moodlecloud.com last year when we had an issue and I never received a response. It would be great to have a reliable email to contact when these kinds of things happen.
In reply to J C

by Phong Cao -
Sure. Will update if I heard back from Moodle support.
In reply to J C

by Kelly Wiens -
Hi, below is the collection of hyperlinks to all 3 Moodle Cloud Forum Discussions, plus the one Moodle Tracker Issue that describe this exact same problem. I will post this message on all 3 Forum discussions (thx Monty for being proactive about that!) so that if you subscribe to all of them, you will be sure to get the latest news.

Upvote JC's Moodle Tracker Bug:

Subscribe to Moodle Forum Discussions:
In reply to Katie Kahre

by Xlr8ED LEARNING -

Here as well.  Both of my sites (one free and one paid) are down with no word from Moodle or moodlecloud.  As I have said before - the silence is deafening.  They could at least update us.  

In reply to Katie Kahre

by Katie Kahre -
I received this just a few minutes ago in my email:

Hello Moodler,

This is a notification that service to select MoodleCloud sites are currently unavailable. We are sorry for the inconvenience of this outage and are working to get the sites back up.

Thank you,
Moodle HQ
In reply to Katie Kahre

by J C -

Good to know, thanks Katie!

Do you know how you got signed up to receive that update? 

I wonder if I can do that too...

In reply to J C

by Kelly Wiens -
my site is UP!
thx MoodleCloud, I'm sure this was stressful for you, too.
In reply to J C

by corporacion fe -
thanks Katie could you please send me that notification,
corporacionfe12@gmail.com
I thank you
In reply to Katie Kahre

by J C -
Hi Katie,
Just wondering if you know what the process is to get signed up to receive those kinds of updates? That would be super helpful.
In reply to Katie Kahre

by Lee Goldsworthy -
Hi Katie (and everyone who posted here).

I wanted to close this one out by sharing some information about the incident, what we learned, and what plans we have for this to not happen again.

1. Outage
We had a failure of a single-point dependency in our US region's infrastructure. At the time of failure, the automatic notification to our on-call engineer also wasn't picked up immediately by our on-call engineer, exacerbating the respond/resolve time.

2. Notification
Ideally in a situation like the above, the internal incident notification system will contain a step for automatically notifying an engineering manager when an incident goes unacknowledged by the on-call engineer. This was not configured correctly for management notifications.

3. Communication
Ideally in a situation like the above, non-engineering staff are brought into the loop to manage public-facing communications like status.moodlecloud.com and the forums here. Due to the above breakdown in communications, neither of these steps were taken to let the community know about the issues we were having.

4. Outcomes
As Product Manager for MoodleCloud, I've taken on 17 discrete changes as a result of this. Some are already in place, others are longer term goals that will make more incremental improvements to how we provide this service to our users.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the impact to your services, and I hope that this transparency goes some way to giving you confidence that we're working hard to improve every day here at the MoodleCloud team at Moodle HQ.

If you have questions or concerns, please reach out below. I'm always keen to hear your views.

Thanks heaps
Lee Goldsworthy
Product Manager - MoodleCloud