When copying course question bank standard category gets old course name

When copying course question bank standard category gets old course name

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Using Moodle 3.6.6

We are using courses as templates for new courses, and discovered that the question bank standard category gets the same name as the template course when restoring the template backed up template course to a new course with other full- and short names. This is very confusing to the users.

Does anyone know if this is a problem that have been reported, or if we are doing something wrong? I cannot find it in the tracker.

To reproduce:

1. Backup a course
  2. Restore the course to a new course with another name
  3. Check name of question bank standard category
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: When copying course question bank standard category gets old course name

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not sure, but I will provide a few thoughts.

In my Moodle, questions for a course are up one level in the category that the course is in. For example, I have the course categories of Business, Engineering, etc. So when I duplicate a course, as you do, I don't have to face any of the question bank issues that I believe you are facing. I am not sure if I am making sense, but maybe my solution will help you think through your own situation. In my case, I am just a professor using Moodle on my own, so my Moodle is a bit small, and is not complicated by having multiple teachers and a bunch of courses.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a known bug: MDL-39074.

If it is important to you, you will have to rename the category manually.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Diedrichs -
Well, then I know. The teachers gets confused by this, as did I... I'll vote for the bug and inform my users about the issue. Thanks for the answer!
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Diedrichs -
Saw in the tracker that this has been a "half resolved" issue since 2013. How come it wasn't completed?