SCORM 2004 API Search Algorithm special characters not showing up properly

SCORM 2004 API Search Algorithm special characters not showing up properly

by Fabio Montiel -
Number of replies: 3

Good morning guys,

I have an issue when trying to read the interaction report on moodle, the javascript file (SCORMFunctions.js) won't allow using special characters or spaces, so the text is displayed like this:

What+shape%20are%20the%20buttons%20on%20this%20coat%3F%20

It should display: What shape are the buttons on this coat?

The content was built using articulate storyline.

So I wonder if there is anything that needs to be adjusted in that JS file? could you guys please give me a hand? 

Thanks in advance!

Find attached a screenshot of the report and also the javascript file

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fabio Montiel

Re: SCORM 2004 API Search Algorithm special characters not showing up properly

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It isn't that it won't allow special characters. It will but the data is stored in a single text field and those weird bits indicate what should be there: %20 indicates a space, %3 indicates a question mark, etc. I'm guessing that is a UTF8 thing. All the reporting data IS STORED IN ONE FIELD.  I think that is a little crazy. But that is how it is. I know practically nothing about programming and cannot contribute a better idea, so I cannot criticize...maybe it just makes me crazy trying to read it (honestly, I stopped trying reading those a long time ago...and some of the headaches stopped).

If you really want to read those horrible things, you could set up some sort of search/replace thing that automatically replaces %20 with a space and %3 with a ? and so on. I'd have to do it manually but I'm sure there is a way. I ran some Crystal Reports on this type of data several years ago and that was one of the things I told it to do. Worked really well (outside of the having to work in Crystal Reports...but if you like that sort of thing, just fine).

Oh, and Moodle isn't really 2004 compliant. You might want to use 1.2. It works better. Not saying 2004 won't work, but some of the stuff you might expect to work one way might not. And most everything I've seen here implies Moodle isn't interested in jumping through the hoops necessary to be 2004 compliant (Dan, if you are reading this: this is not criticism, I agree, it isn't worth it).

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Fabio Montiel -
Thank you so much Melanie, i hope they add a solution to this issue eventually!
In reply to Fabio Montiel

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I suspect programmatically, they don't consider it an issue--UTF8 was the solution (12 year ago...) and it improved things substantially between Moodle 1.X and Moodle 2.X. The storing in one field is likely consistent in other LMS products as well...I know some people who use other products...I might ask. And 2004 compliance happening is very unlikely.