What is wisdom

What is wisdom

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 2
Until now We have used Moodle on a server/combination that was specially setup. I Wonder now if it is a sign of more wisdom to choose a preformatted distribtion set, install that and send requests for server-help to the club of that distribution. Which to choose: the Debian distribution, installing it with one line of code? Any experience? Any advice?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: What is wisdom

by Arnor Kristjansson -
I use Debian for my moodle installation(s). I, however, don't use the moodle package in apt, but download the nightly (+-build), copy the missing language files, the newassignment module and the configuration.php file fortnightly or so. I also use a custom kernel (though I don't do any kernel-hacks...I just like to be using the latest stuff). Debian's apt system allows me to constantly be up-to-date on any and all security issues though some packages lag a bit behind.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: What is wisdom

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The questions are, are you happy with your current setup? Can you troubleshoot it if anything goes wrong? Can you apply security patches/upgrades easily? In other words, do you "master" your current setup?

If the aswer to any of these questions is 'no', maybe a preformatted distribution is the way to go (you'll have to master that distribution too, but at least in theory you should be able to find help more easily).

Me, I'm using Debian. Not so much for the technical merits, but for the 'ethical' aspects of that distribution.

Saludos. Iñaki.