Update Moodle 3.8+ to 3.8.1?

Update Moodle 3.8+ to 3.8.1?

by Stefan Schoch -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hey there,

I' d like to install the most recent version (currently running 3.8+ with some additional plugins and fordson theme).

If I get the upgrade instructions right, I shall NOT copy the 3.8.1 files over the current installation but start in a new folder. Then I shall 'install the plugins into that code tree' (or some equally (to me) cryptic advice is given).

As I installed my version and all plugins via the backend, I don't feel able to follow this instruction. I have no idea, how to perform the installation of any plugins by copying any files! sad

Question: is this (given it's just a minor update) really necessary or would it be safe to simply copy the new moodle code over the current one and THEN perform any plugin updates via the backend? 

Thx for helping,

Stefan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Schoch

Re: Update Moodle 3.8+ to 3.8.1?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have some observations...

1. I wouldn't do any kind of update without first testing it somewhere other than your live site.

2. Do yourself a massive favour and read Git_for_Administrators. The answer to your whole question is then (more or less) 'git pull'.

3. Personally, I test new versions of plugins by extracting them on my test/development server using the user interface (never do that on a live site - the permissions you need are not safe). The resulting code base is then, effectively, a customised version of Moodle. I have a Github account that I use to keep that. Then (as above) I deploy to the live site using git.

However, there's nothing actually wrong with downloading the new version of Moodle and copying over the optional plugins (once you have learned how) but it's making what should be an easy job really difficult.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Stefan Schoch -

Hey Howard,

thanks a lot for your explanations. I just took a glimpse into the GIT documentation - seems a bit overwehelming right now.

But I agree - in the long run I might want to consider to get used to GIT. Up to now I have little traffic on my site so it might be easier for me to simply copy the new code after I have made a fresh backup and see if it works. This is how I have done the last updates (even from 3.7 to 3.8).

But only if you wouldn't strongly recommend not to do so...

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ultimately, the best method is the one you understand, feel comfortable with and works for you.

by Ken Task -

Can't resist ... am a 'fan' of git ... updates or upgrades.

Since you already have a 'method' ... although 'old' and probably prone to human error regardless of how many times one might have performed them in the past ... suggestion ... maybe actually a suggestion to become familiar with admin of a moodle via git ...

If you have space and ability ... semi clone your production to a clone.   Dump DB (sql) and import into new DB name ... same credentials - new DB name moodlegit.  Archive moodledata and restore to same location but different name ... like /var/www/moodledata achived ... cp to /var/www/moodledatagit

In another domain or subdirectory of server, install a 3.8.1 code base via git.

in that git acquired directory of code, copy your production sites config.php to moodlegit ... edit config.php and make changes needed to reflect the clone/copy.

Then use moodlegit/admin/cli/ and run the upgrade.php script there.   Your DB thinks the cloned site is a 3.8+ ... code is 3.8.1 ... which should upgrade the DB.

If, if that's too much ... just start from scratch ... new git acquired code ... but make it a 3.7.highest where you can then practice the 3.7.highest to 3.8.highest upgrade without fear! smile

Unlike Howard, I do get lazy from time to time and use the Admin GUI to update plugins/addons.  But I do a combo ... have a script in code to 'unlock' (change permissions on key directories), run the GUI updates, once completed I have a 'lockdown' script that changes permissions back to more secure.

Encouragement: once you get a handle on git install/updates and upgrades, you'll wonder why you didn't do git a long time ago.   Literally a matter of minutes once you figure out an 'up' script and an 'update' script.

'SoS', Ken